GT Zaskar experts…what can you tell me about my bike #1…

RSSS

Retro Newbie
I purchased this bike used several years ago. Ive been using it on and off. Although I haven't ridden a modern mountain bike, this bike is a blast to ride. I‘m thinking about restoring it. Aside from the stuff I put on, what can you tell me about this bike and what parts does it need or what “should” be on it to bring it back to factory original. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I’m torn between modernizing it as much as I can and riding it or restoring it with new anodizing, decals, parts etc….

Bike #1 1994 -14.5 Zaskar
- ink blue? Decent shape, no dings, scratches on the chain stay from a chain.
- titech ti flat bar - I put on
- Kore stem - I put on
- grip shifters - I put on
- brake levers - came with the bike or I replaced (can’t remember)
- Rock Shox Judy xc - came with the bike.
- lx front derailleur - came with the bike
- lx crank - came with the bike
- xt rear derailleur- possibly came with the bike or I put it on.
- seat post clamp - aftermarket
- seatpost - aftermarket
- seat - aftermarket
- decals look to be all original
- v brakes - I put on
- wheelset -came on the bike lx hubs

Thanks for you help!

Attachments

• IMG_1666.jpeg
    IMG_1666.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1667.jpeg
    IMG_1667.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1668.jpeg
    IMG_1668.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1669.jpeg
    IMG_1669.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1673.jpeg
    IMG_1673.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 47
Personally if you like it already, why change it if it's working.

It is wearing some nice period parts that are a good fit for what people tend to do with zaskars, that would tempt me to do something different.

The minimum I'd do is upgrade the shifters unless you like grip shift of course, cranks (maybe race face or xt), front mech too.

The rest is pretty decent.

If I was modernising then I'd be looking at as modern and good v brake forks, 1x cranks/drivetrain and gearing and maybe some blinger wheels, hubs, headset and cranks a nice anno red maybe, seatclamp and qrs.

That's just me though.

Mine which I bought in 96 has much the same sort of spec as yours. Kore stems, seat post and bars seemed to be standard. I was thinking of changing my Judy forks to some Pace ones…..but haven’t yet.
Stiff, fast bikes!

Nice bars, need something similar for an upcoming build. Are those brakes the ‘black ops’ with the bearings pressed in the mounts?

Nice bars, need something similar for an upcoming build. Are those brakes the ‘black ops’ with the bearings pressed in the mounts?
Thanks. Yes! I snagged then when they were $100 or so dollars, years ago. I think they run about $300 if you can find them. Frankly, the deore binders work just the same.

Nice looking bike
Like ishaw said if it aint broke dont fix it!
I dont like grip shift but that is personal as I know some do:)

I run mine with Magura Tomac's so if you fancy hydraulic brakes maybe HS 11/22/33
I love the grip shifters. I converted this bike and my other zaskar to grip shifters. i have a motorcycle so it kinda feels natural to me. The hydro is interesting. Funny story. My bro took me to a ski mountain turned into a downhill park in the summer for my birthday several years ago. I took this bike and my he took his “old“ mtb bike. Unknown to us (our first time) our “old” bikes weren’t allowed. We did three runs before they “caught” us. Going downhill, there were some sketchy parts but nothing that would kill us since we were going slow as newbies. But yeah, grabbing the binders hard was a requirement. Hydro would have been very helpful. It was interesting to experience new and old tech side buy side. We rented proper 29ers, pads, gear, etc. The 29ers soaked up everything. It was like riding in a caddy. It also stopped incredibly fast and was planted. The only thing the zaskar did well was it was noticeable lighter. I got more air with the zaskar. The whole experience was just like skiing or snowboarding. Wait in line, jump in a gondola then ride down the hill. Rinse and repeat. Maybe if the mountain was much taller, it would have been fun but the experience was just okay. I have more fun riding trails. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Personally if you like it already, why change it if it's working.

It is wearing some nice period parts that are a good fit for what people tend to do with zaskars, that would tempt me to do something different.

The minimum I'd do is upgrade the shifters unless you like grip shift of course, cranks (maybe race face or xt), front mech too.

The rest is pretty decent.

If I was modernising then I'd be looking at as modern and good v brake forks, 1x cranks/drivetrain and gearing and maybe some blinger wheels, hubs, headset and cranks a nice anno red maybe, seatclamp and qrs.

That's just me though.
Thanks. I was thinking of replacing all the components with xtr just so everything matches and performs and replacing all the odds and ends. I would also like to put it on a diet to make it lighter but I don’t know If that’s just an exercise in futility. What forks would you suggest?

I do want to use it for what it was designed for. i would like to restore it but also not be afraid to ride it if that makes any sense.

Does anyone know what came on this bike? It looks to be a mixture of lt and lx. I’m not sure what group should be on this bike.

I'd be staggered if the original catalogue wasn't on here somewhere - have a search around.

Back