The bike I should be riding...89 Marin OAP conversion....finished!

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Back in July, I posed a thought for you all.... "What bike should you be riding?"

Here's the link to the post;

It was quite interesting how many of you got onboard with the concept and that many were also experiencing issues.

I also said at the bottom of the first entry, that " im going to build one"

Well, true to my word.... here goes.

So where do you start!?

Its odd, if your not constrained to any particularly make, with no catalogue to guide you and freed from the need to build an " acceptable " retro, how hard it actually becomes!

I started by looking at what i needed from the bike.....followed by what i would like...very much in that order.

WHAT I NEED...
Comfortable for a bad back on trips longer than 2 hours
Reliable / easy to fix on the run
Able to go off road (paths, bridalways, fire breaks etc)
Future ability for small touring luggage

WHAT I WOULD LIKE....
Retro styling and parts
Styling that i can enjoy ( at least not want to tear my eyes out)
26" wheels
Reasonably light and nimble enough for a bit of fun.
Reasonably cheap

Sounds straight forward......nice blank sheet....hummmmm.

Last edited:
Next i took a look at the bikes i have and have had....so whats wrong with them.

The main thing is the frame size.....or more accurately the head tube size. I need to be head up.....not cranked over. Its where all my problems of duration in the saddle stem from.

Problem is im very tall.....6'4" ( sure i was taller?) kinda tall. One of the bikes i sold was a 19" frame, great bitd for racing round on, but now a spine killer!

So, without going down the custom rabbit hole, i investigated who made the biggest head tubes on standard issue bikes. Turns out its Marin with a 180mm head on their 20.5" frames. Closely followed by Rocky Mountain on their 21" at 175mm.

However, the RM frames have a much more race oriented geometry 70.5o head with 72.5 seat....As aposed to the Marin at 71o head and a much better 74o seat.

Luckily just as my musings were taking shape, a chance meeting brought me a perfect start in the form of an 89 pine mountain 20.5"

Its a bit crusty and has been in storage for 9 years, but its was cheap and came with a few extras which my help.

Its going to need some work, but hey....thats the fun bit.

20220727_085031.jpg

Attachments

• 20220727_085037.jpg
    20220727_085037.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220727_085104.jpg
    20220727_085104.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220727_085053.jpg
    20220727_085053.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 11
I also should say this build won't be for everyone!

If your a retro, purist...don't look. If your into catalogue builds...walk away. If you think its sacrilegious to mix parts....its not for you.

Also, im quite aware that lots of people won't get the reason behind this or more accurately the need. TBH, nor would i have done a decade ago, but then i could ride anything all day no problem. That's over! I just have to accept that.

What i struggle to accept is being a " dog in the manger" over kit. What's the point of having bikes i can't ride....hang them on the wall....errrr no. Bikes are for riding (imho) and if it means changing my steed to do more of it so be it.

If your lucky enough to still be able to enjoy riding those race bikes you loved 30 years ago, enjoy them now.....don't put it off....because one day you won't.

Also, if your happy looking at a pile of pristine bikes that you don't ride and thats how you get your jollies.....more power to you.

Retro is retro.....its just a broad church.

I'm 6' 2" and have bought retro bikes that are too small for me. I've learnt that lesson now but anything bigger than 19" seems to be quite rare especially at higher spec levels.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Pine Mountain, I had one for a while and can't really fault them.

It odd, because its going to be interesting to see how it compares with my 89 team.

That's also 20.5" too, but for obvious reasons, im not proposing to alter that (not that anything is original 🤣), but after 33 years of ownership, it is what it is. Its ok for about 2 hours....more and i pay for it the next day! Plus the frame material is very different to ride.

Funny, but for years after i bought it i cursed myself for not getting the 19"!

I should probably enter it into this months botm thinking about it!

I also should say this build won't be for everyone!

If your a retro, purist...don't look. If your into catalogue builds...walk away. If you think its sacrilegious to mix parts....its not for you.

Also, im quite aware that lots of people won't get the reason behind this or more accurately the need. TBH, nor would i have done a decade ago, but then i could ride anything all day no problem. That's over! I just have to accept that.

I like a good build thread.

I like to build with period parts for some of the bikes i have, though the underlying point in both cases is they are our bikes no one elses so build them how you want to. Unless a fan of full catalogue spec most people changed their bikes to suit their needs anyway, whether that was boutique parts for wow factor, lighter for racing, higher bars for more control and comfort etc etc

Looking forward to it :cool:

I like a good build thread.

I like to build with period parts for some of the bikes i have, though the underlying point in both cases is they are our bikes no one elses so build them how you want to. Unless a fan of full catalogue spec most people changed their bikes to suit their needs anyway, whether that was boutique parts for wow factor, lighter for racing, higher bars for more control and comfort etc etc

Looking forward to it :cool:
Yes...I think this one could be rather good....
I like deviance from the norm..

Back