Thatcher dead

Thorpie":2hadzdbc said:
When Maggie was in charge I was proud to be British, this labour goverment makes that very difficult.

(... very heavy edit)

So what is considered British nowadays? Is it just shorthand for England? Up until WWII Australians considered themselves British, so did other members of the Commonwealth (when Britain went to war, Australia and other members of the Commonwealth automatically were at war). Even our Constitution refers to ‘external affairs’, not ‘foreign affairs’ because at the time of writing, relations with Britain were viewed external to Australia and not foreign.

Since 1986 (the Australia Act) Australia and Britain have eliminated all associations between the law, judiciary and parliaments, effectively those with a British passport are now considered under a foreign power to Australia. Australia is in reality a republic (except by name) but we have the same monarch as Britain (another can of worms).

The reason I ask about being British is I’ve never heard anyone except those from England refer to themselves as British. If you are from England, do you identify primarily as English or British? What about if you are from Scotland or Wales?

I'm half Irish, half Welsh but I love being British, I was born that. I think Britain and France are two rare countries that had their nationalist pride hijacked by facist racism. Bit of a bugger that.

LQQK":1k8xpef2 said:
[

So what is considered British nowadays? Is it just shorthand for England? Up until WWII Australians considered themselves British, so did other members of the Commonwealth (when Britain went to war, Australia and other members of the Commonwealth automatically were at war). Even our Constitution refers to ‘external affairs’, not ‘foreign affairs’ because at the time of writing, relations with Britain were viewed external to Australia and not foreign.

Since 1986 (the Australia Act) Australia and Britain have eliminated all associations between the law, judiciary and parliaments, effectively those with a British passport are now considered under a foreign power to Australia. Australia is in reality a republic (except by name) but we have the same monarch as Britain (another can of worms).

The reason I ask about being British is I’ve never heard anyone except those from England refer to themselves as British. If you are from England, do you identify primarily as English or British? What about if you are from Scotland or Wales?

I always say i'm English. The English are having trouble with loosing the Empire. I'm sure they blame Labour for that. So let the Scots and the rest go. Why you in Aus still keep with us I don't know. If you left the Commonwealth then may be Asia would look on you as Asians and not EurAsian??

kaiser":12hc3rht said:
Thorpie":12hc3rht said:
She is a living legend. She took no bullshit on the world stage, she did not give in to bullying unions and let thousands of people own their own homes. If only the current prime minister had as much balls! I for one am not aloud to strike and I am not aloud to be part of any union. I am sick to death of public sector workers trying to hold the country to ransome. If we are not aloud to strike then nor should the Leeds bin workers, the Sheffield bus drivers, the Fire Service or Royal Mail. When Maggie was in charge I was proud to be British, this labour goverment makes that very difficult. Just my thoughts folks!

Trevor.

Were you at the same school as Matt?

No but I was born and bred in Suffolk which probably has a big impact on my views. However, I have lived and worked in South Yorkshire for the last 12 years (Live in Rotherham work in Sheffield) so I have seen first hand the North/South divide when it comes to politics, and especially opinions on Margaret Thatcher. But even then most of my colleagues are pro Thatcher because she ensured that the job I do is at a decent level of pay (where it definately should be for some of the things I have to do, if not more so).

To answer the other point about proud to be British then when I say that I probably really mean proud to be English just as the Scots and Welsh are proud to be Scottish and Welsh.

Trevor.

mattbrown":2yt62fue said:
i wouldnt like to think what labour would have done, if the argies invaded the falklands on their watch.

I'd like to think that they would have done the sensible thing and let them have them...saying that, they seem hell bent on wasting British lives in other areas we really shouldn't be bothered about :roll:

makster":k824lxxw said:
mattbrown":k824lxxw said:
i wouldnt like to think what labour would have done, if the argies invaded the falklands on their watch.

I'd like to think that they would have done the sensible thing and let them have them...saying that, they seem hell bent on wasting British lives in other areas we really shouldn't be bothered about :roll:

True from being a very un-war like party they have really gone for it since Blair took control :roll:

dbmtb":1nrdd5pw said:
[ But Thatcher's revolution was a catastrophe for South Yorkshire and it's still not got over it.

hang on a bit ... south yorks (well sheffield anyway) was in the pits before that when Blunkett and his looney left destroyed any sheffield pride. The red flag flew from the town hall, eastern-block dignitaries enjoyed facilites unavailable to citizens, we were declared a nuclear-bomb-free zone, we were twinned with donetsk, we were encouraged to strike to bring down capitalism, declaring oneself a tory was like today declaring yourself a BNPist because of the brainwashing.

In short, he and his cronies, ably supported by national "celebrities" like michael foot & tony benn would have sold us all (including their grandmothers) to the russians for a bit of kudos. The working man may not have vocally shouted them down, but felt powerless to do so and gave up on a strong work ethic and pride.

Back