BSA Tour of Britain

Stewied176

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone hopefully you can help a newbie (bike doer upper 😂)with some basic questions
1) Where can I find the serial number/ age of this bike
2) where brooks factory fitted seats
3) Was this green an original colour, it doesn’t appear to have been painted over

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• IMG_2703.jpeg
    IMG_2703.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2707.jpeg
    IMG_2707.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2704.jpeg
    IMG_2704.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to the forum. I'm 99% sure this is from the 70s given the spec and colour scheme, which definitely is original. This is a classic example of a mass-market (and fairly cheap) bike from the 'bike boom' era of the 70s. The Brooks saddle is interesting as these days that brand is associated with higher-end bikes, but I'm guessing they also made cheaper non-leather models for brands like BSA in this era, as it looks original to me.

If there is a frame number it's likely on the left rear drop out. It's a generic 1970s Raleigh frame used on entry level bikes badged as Raleigh/Sun/BSA/ANOther brands depending on where marketed. Yes, the colour is original though I think it was only used for BSA branded bikes. Other colours included orange and pale blue. I think the same frame in red was called Tour de France.

If there is a frame number it's likely on the left rear drop out. It's a generic 1970s Raleigh frame used on entry level bikes badged as Raleigh/Sun/BSA/ANOther brands depending on where marketed. Yes, the colour is original though I think it was only used for BSA branded bikes. Other colours included orange and pale blue. I think the same frame in red was called Tour de France.
Yes the TDF came in blue as well as orange, edit there were a few versions and colours. Sometime the seat tube has a number too, my Jubilee did.

catalogue pic of yours in the link.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Welcome to the forum. I'm 99% sure this is from the 70s given the spec and colour scheme, which definitely is original. This is a classic example of a mass-market (and fairly cheap) bike from the 'bike boom' era of the 70s. The Brooks saddle is interesting as these days that brand is associated with higher-end bikes, but I'm guessing they also made cheaper non-leather models for brands like BSA in this era, as it looks original to me.
Thank you for the welcome and the info

Yes the TDF came in blue as well as orange, edit there were a few versions and colours. Sometime the seat tube has a number too, my Jubilee did.

catalogue pic of yours in the link.

Thank you for the photos

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you. I’m off to the shed to check 😉

Back