Teenage dream; 93 San Andreas, prostop & suspenders.

Baulz... I have to admit, Your Sannie is stunning. This is as close as I could get to a first gen with Suspenders and prostops.

Now... the forks.

If anyone else out there has a set of suspenders, I'd appreciate your input here - these were supposed (!) to have over 2" of travel, but with the elastomers removed, the crown will hit the tyre, and there's only about 50-55mm between tyre and crown at full extension!! So, anyone with suspenders, any idea how much travel I *SHOULD* be getting? I've yet to strip them down to check that there's nothing awry inside, but they're very smooth, and the top out bumper seems to be working as it should?

Re:

Wow ! :cool:
I've got first generation set of Suspenders and travel seems to be around 40-45. Perhaps more but the last mm are very very firm

My_Teenage_Self":3o4i21me said:
Now... the forks.

If anyone else out there has a set of suspenders, I'd appreciate your input here -

First off great score! Secondly that's a 94 model.

Suspenders were only 45mm of travel so don't expect too much squish there.
If they're compressing at all it's is a good sign, air-lock and being slightly twisted can make these things rock solid.
They look cool. But unfortunately won't eat house brick sized rocks like we imagined they would.

Paul Smith's a member on here so I'm sure he would have some handy tips with all things M.C

13":3c7up2m4 said:
First off great score! Secondly that's a 94 model.

Suspenders were only 45mm of travel so don't expect too much squish there.
If they're compressing at all it's is a good sign, air-lock and being slightly twisted can make these things rock solid.
They look cool. But unfortunately won't eat house brick sized rocks like we imagined they would.

Paul Smith's a member on here so I'm sure he would have some handy tips with all things M.C

Cheers Bud :)

I don't doubt you, but how do you know it's a 94? The guy I bought it off had had it since 95, and knew the guy that bought it new (I'm the 3rd owner) It was a californian bike that he bought out there then brought back to the UK.

They're buttery smooth, but I'm getting a maximum of 35mm out of them. Not the end of the world, but there's always room for improvement!

On another note, I've found an old manual that describes how the brakes are supposed to be bled. I wasn't a million miles off, but I'll give it a go their way!

My_Teenage_Self":38t49vy5 said:
Cheers Bud :)

I don't doubt you, but how do you know it's a 94?

Yea I have a 93 and a 94
Unlike GT and other big companies MC didn't date stamp the frames.
There were subtle changes over the years that will help identify the year model but the basic layout was
92 - 1 frame kit - frame, suspenders, hubs, prostops
93 - 2 frame kits - "team elite" same as above (Paul smith version) - "team" frame only with canti bosses
94 - the "R series" with new style decals, lighter frame. Available in white or brushed finish. "R8.0" frame only. "R8.2" frame, onza mogo, mag 21. "R8.4" frame, suspenders, front prostop, matching ano seat tower. "R8.6" frame, suspenders, prostops f&r, matching ano seat tower.
95 - "R series" new decals (the more common big box style decals with San Andreas on the swingarm) Noleen rear shocks, suspenders discontinued, available in 3 models 8.0 frame only. 8.4 frame, manitou 4 with prostop. 8.6 manitou, prostop f&r.
96 - "R series" new monocoque seat tower.

As with all bike releases, even to this day, the 94 model was released late 93 so the original owner could well have bought it in 93
I really like the 94 due to the rare graphics and it's really cool to see an original survivor!

Would love to see it get botm, gets my vote for sure
Look forward to more pics.

Awesome information!^^^^^^

He's sure it was bought in 93, but from what you've said, it certainly appears to be a 94 model year.

Apparently, the later Suspenders weighed less than the manitou 2s? Seems unlikely! They do seem surprisingly tight and wobble free for an early suspension fork; Way stiffer than the mag 21s I had, possibly a little better than RC35s too. The bike itself weighs... a lot, but there are no concessions to weight saving here.

cool machine this one!
as you know, i am working on the Trek San Andreas and looking at your SA i notice some differences

Why does your Suspenders has a different crown ?
And mine is fully XTR M900 original, wasn't this bike sold as a complete bike with M900 all the time ?

I hope to find a Serial number beneath the horrible paint so I can find out more (year and age)

Hi defiant :)

My suspenders are the next year from yours I beleive, late 93/94 model year, as pointed out by 13.

I don't beleive that any of the San anreas around this time were sold as a complete bike, only as frame kits, so any spec was down to the first owner.

Yea I have a 93 and a 94
Unlike GT and other big companies MC didn't date stamp the frames.
There were subtle changes over the years that will help identify the year model but the basic layout was
92 - 1 frame kit - frame, suspenders, hubs, prostops
93 - 2 frame kits - "team elite" same as above (Paul smith version) - "team" frame only with canti bosses
94 - the "R series" with new style decals, lighter frame. Available in white or brushed finish. "R8.0" frame only. "R8.2" frame, onza mogo, mag 21. "R8.4" frame, suspenders, front prostop, matching ano seat tower. "R8.6" frame, suspenders, prostops f&r, matching ano seat tower.
95 - "R series" new decals (the more common big box style decals with San Andreas on the swingarm) Noleen rear shocks, suspenders discontinued, available in 3 models 8.0 frame only. 8.4 frame, manitou 4 with prostop. 8.6 manitou, prostop f&r.
96 - "R series" new monocoque seat tower.

As with all bike releases, even to this day, the 94 model was released late 93 so the original owner could well have bought it in 93
I really like the 94 due to the rare graphics and it's really cool to see an original survivor!

Would love to see it get botm, gets my vote for sure
Look forward to more pics.
Hello "13" and all other retrofriends,

Found this old and helpful thread while inquiring about frame year and don't want to open a new one so I'll just ask here.
I just bought an early version of MC San Andreas and I'm trying to figure out what year it is. The seller claimed it was a 92 model but I quickly realized it wasn't! He said that he was in contact with Mike Bulen, who welded them, and even he confirmed to me that Mike Bulen thinks it is really a 92. Of course, there's a chance Mike doesn't remember all the frames he welded nearly thirty years ago. On the MC facebook group, a guy with a lot of knowledge and I found out that it is most likely a 94. Because the 92 and 93 had hexagonal cable stops, but mine has oval ones. But I don't know if that's 100% true given that welder Mike Bulen didn't mention it. However, after looking at hundreds of images from google, it looks like this claim will hold and they only added ovals cable stops in 94 and before that they used hexagonal ones.
But we were confused by the 4 digit serial number which indicated that it was seriously possible an earlier model as mine has S/N 1379. But now I found this article where you mention that they reintroduced the 4 digit frame numbering in 94 . It's build with the Suspenders system 3 fork which also hints on 94 model. I also found an ad where this fork was offered in Cobalt Gray and Aluminum look. Mine is an aluminum look and I thought someone had de-anodized it because I haven't seen it in an aluminum color until now, probably they werw rare in alu color. The Noleen shock absorber was replaced, was originally on the frame After Shock with elastomers, that what he claims. I'm not a fan of the 94 sticker graphics myself, but I like to bring back the stickers belonging to the frames from right period. Therefore, I would like to ask you to help me find out which model from 94 we are talking about? You mention the R-series 8.6, which was the only one that had Suspenders and ProStop brakes, and that could have been it. The only doubt that gives me is that you mention that it was with a matchin tower and fork ("R8.6" frame, suspenders, prostops f&r, matching ano seat tower."), I assume you talk about an anodized cobalt gray color. Mine is all silver,..frame, fork and seattower. Of course, there is also the possibility that someone bought a Suspender fork and Pro Stop brakes afterwards and custom build it. I've always wanted to add an early San An to my collection, let's say a 92, but I don't mind if it's a 94 because it's important to me that it has the Suspenders and Pro Stop brakes that are iconic for my classic bike collection taste.

The last two pics are from 92 bike just to show the hexagonal cable stops.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• received_833016304449329.jpeg
    received_833016304449329.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 9
  • received_497600009148938.jpeg
    received_497600009148938.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 9
  • received_631924802067408.jpeg
    received_631924802067408.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 8
  • received_1321927175322672.jpeg