Sold Saracen Myst X Frame - bonkers budget big bounce bike

Dave_H

Senior Retro Guru
About a year ago I started a fun project to build a sub-£500 bonkers budget big bounce bike for cheap trail riding.

The basis of the bike was a 2014 Saracen Myst X frame with 200mm travel. Theoretically, it’s a 26″ wheeled frame but (apparently) the swingarm was designed for the following year’s 27.5″ models so very easily fits the larger wheel (that’s what I’ve been running).

Having finished the build early this year, it’s been my most ridden bike through the summer (if that’s the right term to use for this year’s pitiful season). Built up with spares from the shed and carefully purchased bits with an eye on the cost (used 180mm Lyriks, 83mm chainset, 150mm axle rear wheel) I achieved the sub-£500 target. It’s been such a giggle as it rides well enough up the hills and is so much fun when pointing back down. Probably the biggest £s per smiles of any bike I’ve ever owned and because it’s been built on a budget, I’ve not felt precious about it.

However, nothing stands still in the biking world and an itchy mouse finger has meant that whilst I’ve loved the budget concept, I’ve been slowly upgrading bits and having seen a good offer on a new, replacement frame …. sadly it’s time for my Myst to go. Undoubtedly, I’ve lost the ethos of what the build was meant to be and in a years time will regret that I allowed myself to be tempted with the newer and shinier on eBay!

The frame is a medium in used condition. It has its fair share of the usual stone chips but the grey/black colour scheme makes them not particularly noticeable and it’s all surface/cosmetic only with no dents or dings. Same for the carbon swingarm. All pivots felt smooth with no play before I built the bike and still are as much as I can tell on a built up bike.

It’s for sale as frame only including the headset, seatclamp and rear axle. Everything else is heading for the replacement frame including the shock (9.5″ x 3″ or 240mm x 76mm). I ran it for a short while with a super cheap 65mm stroke shock which (according to my rudimentary calculations) gave it a 173mm rear travel and maybe balanced the head angle better for the shorter forks than the original design. But I wanted the full travel so quickly switched to a longer stroke shock when the right one popped up, increasing the big bounce smiles without noticing any difference in the angles.

I don’t want much for it … just a measly £50 plus post if needed and you too could start a fun winter project of building yourself a sub-£500 bonkers budget big bounce bike.

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpeg
    IMG_2659.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2660.jpeg
    IMG_2660.jpeg
    962.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2658.jpeg
    IMG_2658.jpeg
    721.4 KB · Views: 73
Back