tablet advice please

Re:

I don't know what gesture support android has as I've never installed it.

The launcher is here by the way to save you trying to work it out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 7AbG0IHwCg

The biggest annoyance of them not updating them is various apps need the newer system like KitKat (4.4) now and I guess Lollipop (5) in the future.

I'm at 4.3 on the Toshiba 10" which is a bugger as I want to use some of the newer apps and features (namely MS Office) But this thing is locked down and no way to root it or install custom ROMs. So just means I'm not buying a Toshiba one again.

Hope Motorola don't go the way Lenovo are now they are one company company. Keep it simple.

But for general everybody use it's not going to matter.

Re:

seriously, WTF is kitkat and jelly bean etc? i have no clue. it sounds like a piss take but i assume its a username for a brand of software?

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":5oclzsci said:
seriously, WTF is kitkat and jelly bean etc? i have no clue. it sounds like a piss take but i assume its a username for a brand of software?
Sorry - versions of Android - so, Jellybean 4.1.bleh (or 4.2 or 4.3), Kitkat 4.4.blah.

They've always gone with names of puddings / sweets. Froyo was the first I used, then Gingerbread, Icecream sandwich, then Jellybean, then Kitkat. I'm pretty sure they followed much the same convention before Froyo.

Re:

So drifted off into other talk while we wait you trying a few out.

Just operating system version like you have with iOS. Just named differently.

Android is capable and of USB otg ( on the go) which means any SD card can be mounted as storage through a similar reader to the one that thm posted. This will work fine for your camera cards as well as USB sticks for media. The rest of the recommendations seem fine (up to page 2 where I read). One point I will just make is that Asus (who made the two nexus 7 tablets) and Samsung can build a good reliable device. We have 6 tablets in our house (both nexus 7s, galaxy tab 2 7", an Acer a500 and two storage options engage ones) the samsung has taken a years worth of use with my wife and a years worth of use with my 8 year old boy. This and both the nexi are trouble free, the a500 has failed with less than a year of normal use and the cheap tabs have quality issues. Samsung's build may often be derided for being overly plasticy but they are built well if you can tolerate the customisations they put on android.
For my money there is only 1 7-8" device to have and that's the nexus 7 2013, the hudl2 is an option but I don't know about build quality and I doubt repair is an option for it in nz, the nexus7 is supported globally, the iPad mini is just simply outclassed in this company and doesn't deliver for twice the outlay of the androids.
Move up to a 10" format and lines blur but again stick to something globally supported, samsung, sony, apple, google will all be fine and prices are a bit closer.

Carl

My 2p

I recently got an iPhone 5s and I am still getting used to working it. I uploaded the Photobucket App and when I take a pic it is stored on PB so if I lose the phone etc. I don't lose the pics. I also signed up for a thing called iTunes Match - I have uploaded my own music (9000+ songs) to 'the cloud' and can listen to them when I want. My phone contract is unlimited internet. Match costs £20 ish per year and I like it. This week I have been trying the free version of Spotify and it is good too.

I am sure someone here will be able to tell you more about 'hotspots' but I believe that you can use a phone to get the internet on a tablet - the phone acts like a dongle effectively (if I have got that right) so perhaps an iPad etc without internet would work using your phone as the connection.

We have an iPad at home which works with wifi and my wife and daughter use it - not me!

So, in conclusion, I would just use my phone.

I hope you have a safe trip and a very enjoyable stay (I read the other thread)

Richard

I would get an iPad with cellular, I have tethering on my Three and find using the Xperia as a hotspot is great for times when getting a good data connection can mean putting it on the roof of the van or somewhere you can't sit with your laptop. However, everywhere else it is much less faff having built in cellular. Depending on wi-fi is a non starter out here in the sticks.

Sticking to just the phone is not really an option if you need to do much on it, even five inches is not enough for my wife and her eyesight is much better than mine.

highlandsflyer":1x9sgtsm said:
Sticking to just the phone is not really an option if you need to do much on it, even five inches is not enough for my wife and her eyesight is much better than mine.

My wife also needs more than 5 inches, but has nothing to do with her eyesight

I can understand why. I can't actually work with anything less than seventeen inch comfortably, which is about as large as I need day to day. I won't use a bigger screen unless the application demands it.

Tablets are a different kettle of pony, thanks to the way you interact with them.

Back