tablet advice please

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":1tj9ofg2 said:
i don't mean this in an arrogant way, but i'm not overly concerned about the price, it is what it is, would rather buy locally than risk hassle from buying outside of the country (still currently in the UK). regarding differing prices in NZ etc, haven't even looked at that, as it'll be back here with me in 6 or so months i'd rather buy here for that reason aswel.

getting off topic though the issue at the moment is more about WHAT tablet as opposed to where to buy it from. :)

Very good reasons imho

Re:

2gig is the ram memory.
That is quite a bit for an Android tablet but becoming the standard.

8G 16G etc are the 'disc drive' memory, storage.

Though currently Android doesn't use SDCards very well (fine for music moves, Retrobike catalogues and instructions. You cannot really use apps off it and most cannot write to it. Though 16g is fine unless you download lots from iplayer etc.

We run 3 users on ours and the kids games fill it up.

But the new version of android should hit the Hudl2 hopefully and that's sorted most the issues out.

Remember it is a budget tablet, not super budget but still a budget tablet.

It's not in the same league as the nexus9 or air2.

But then that's screen quality, weight and size.

It also has no crap like Samsung and others add to the phone and faff around with the interface. Google store is good and you get google drive and all google docs etc. if needed.

Of course at that price if you don't like it it is not the end of the world and stick it near the oily bike bits.

There is talk of it being able to run Windows 8.1/10 as it uses pretty much the same hardware as the cheap win8 tablets just coming out.
But not read into it yet, not bought one either but it on my probable for the family list.

Re:

Although if you don't mind a 7" widescreen then the Nexus7 of 2013 is very good, just no SD slot. But you can buy micro USB pen drives iirc. (Again not bought or used one, I have the 2012 version).
These should be dropping to hudl2 prices as they are being discontinued, which is not a problem as google will support them for ages.

Not sure about latest air but I use an sd adapter with my older ipad. Most of my pics on here are straight from sd, onto ipad then photobucket. 16gb is fine fir thus but I don't have iTunes on here.

Re:

so fluffy, you don't like the samsung stuff then? so you'd say that would be one to aviod brand wise?

regarding the Hudl though you say it's not great with sd cards?

it's probably better i suppose if i explain what i want the thing to be able to do, internet/email so that's pretty easy cos all will do that but some faster than others i guess, but i expect to be taking alot of pictures on my camera which runs a normal sized sd card, i would need to transfer from this card to the tablet and then to flikr etc, realistically not much more than that.

i've pretty much decided that i'll just take my ipod for music so i'm not worried about putting all that on it.

i suppose the sd card slot is probably the main thing i'll need, although a usd port would do the job aswel as i have one of those little converter things.

@HM, you say you use an adaptor, so what ports does your ipad have?

Re:

Hudl 2 or iPad air or air 2 if you are feeling flush

Nexus 9 is a lovely, but flimsy

If you are invested in Apple apps, tv, cloud etc then that's your option.

If you want android, inexpensive, but good go hudl.

Hudl can be purchased using club card voucher boost, if they means anything to you!

You can also get a tenner of it if you register as a new on line customer

Re:

This one is sd/USB. Also have a cf one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 165
apparently this post which would have been on the first page is still sat in an open windows and got stuck at the new post stage. but here was my first advice since I've already typed it.

---------
If you're in the Apple world, grab and Air2 and be done with it.
they are nice tablets but not for me.
But for you with you iPhone you'll be able to transfer purchases etc I would hope.

For me it would either be the emerging Windows tablet at the 90 to 120 quid mark.
they are great.

Or the Hudl2 or something similar. Unfortunately the nexus series priced itself out with the Nexus9 as Nexus normally sold due to being excellent and cheap-ish Also 9 inch is too big for lugging around (7 was perfect and so would modern 8's in the same size package. But it is the direct Air2 competitor if that format is fine for you-
-----------

Hudl2 and SD cards.
No it's perfectly fine for what you want to do, but it cannot be used for expansion of internal storage for main programs things they download themselves like they 'marking' lead you to believe. At least not yet! (it was once upon a time was able to way back some years ago.)
BUT for your needs it'll not be a prablem.

Buy a card like a 32 or 64GB EVO microSD card with adaptor of Amazon and it may well be faster than your current card (I don't know but these are pretty fast compared to my older SD cards).
Being in an adaptor means you can then take the microSD card out and put it in the tablet. I think, but check, that it's easy to access.

If you have a big Tesco near you go have a look, they'll have samsung and other including the Air2 probably.

Nothing wrong with Samsung as such, they make decent stuff. I just don't like the User Interface they stick on top of the normal Android interface.. All my devices use the almost default current interface. (Moto G phone, Toshiba Excite Pro, Nexus 7 and in fact my aging 4 year old shouldn't be running it Orange San Francisco phone uses it too if you know how to put newer OS's on them).

apparently having a read around, battery is 6hrs ish on full charge watching video constantly, so it's plug it in overnight job, but I do that as habit and tend to plug in if near one of the chargers anyway. So wouldn't be a problem.
Also the Tesco side swiping thing can be a be stuttery, you'll not use it unless you are a Tesco shopper so change to Google Launcher once you've worked out how to do it, that apparently doesn't have the problem.

I'll surf (in whatever browser you care for, not seen safari though)
It'll read email (in whatever program you care for, GMail now picks up most others easily, not sure about Apple mail things)
It'll play video, musics, movies (not sure about stuff from Apple Store/Tunes thing.

It'll read your pics and you can use any app to play with them and alter them. I'd recommend Installing Google Drive/Google+ and having it auto back up (or one of the other auto backups doing it)

Depends what you use.

SD card and adaptor, I now use these in my camera's
32Evo with adaptor
fast enough for me, price changes all the time and drops to 11 or 12.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Grade-C ... B00J29FF4G

I always buy from the Amazon supplied for SD cards as there are so many dodgy ones cropping up.

Re:

:LOL: :LOL:

as many say the Apple continuity you will like, esp with apps , music and accounts all syncing up on all devices, do you use iMessage and Facetime much , Personally FaceTime from overseas will be worth its weight , I know it is for me as I work away a lot.

To throw a spanner in the works my iPad was gathering dust and I hadn't used it in months, I have given it to the in laws only this weekend :( , I only use the Mac book and iPhone now and found the iPad not really useable enough for me now, both my boys have the mini retina and to be honest its just as good as my old iPad3 the size thing doesn't effect the quality (as I am a high resolution junkie ;) )

Have you had an android device before JB ? if not borrow one for a day and try , i had one as a work phone and now a windows phone and they work differently to the iPhone I am so used to, things like editing text and certain gestures really bug me - to me its what you are used to and like I guess....

Back