Sunn Exact Ti stuck seatpost

Re:

Just take it to your framebuilder chap, save yourself a lot of mental anguish and time

Nothing wrong with getting help with these things once in a while

IMG_7861.jpg

IMG_7863.jpg

IMG_7865.jpg

I gave it one last go after trying penetrationg oil and brute force. I filled up the vessel with caustic soda and let it bubble away hoping that it would eat through some of the alu shim to get the seatpost moving. I let it work for a couple of hours drained it out and then attached a metal rod to the end of the seatpost clamp to try to get better leverage. I wedged the metal bar between to big static sturdy pipes to act as a clamp (my studio is in an old mill that was run on steam so all the old massive pipework is still in place).
AND...... nothing.
so off to the framebuilders it is.

Nice.. Haven't seen that one before.. sad to hear you had no luck.. how's your karma..? was thinking that it might be a good idea if you passed this one on...... to me :-D ;-)

good luck at the framebuilder *thumbs up*

andyparle":1wr1k7t0 said:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.instru ... ent=safari
Apparantley you can just connect 9v batteries together and depending on what overal voltage you make depends on the colour you get.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about aluminium anodising for some reason...

Yes, that method works, the batteries don't supply much current for it though. Also you need to etch titanium to get a good finish, and that involves some really bad chemicals.

The saga continues! The frame builder (neill orell), has been having a go at it with his assistants the last couple of weeks. He has tried heating, freezing, brute force, cutting off the seatpost at the top of the frame and cutting slits down the seatpost to try to "peel" it out..... But alas still no luck! Really annoyingly the seatpost isnt even that far in to the frame, but becasuse the walls of the seat tube are so thin he is also having to be quite carefull. They have just discussed a couple if other ideas that they have that they will try next week, and luckily it is now a challenge to them rather than a job so fingers crossed....

Re:

I was going to suggest freezing.
I managed to free a VERY stuck post from on old stumpy last week by using plumbers freeze spray and brute force.
It took some shifting but came out in the end

andyparle":c3qeq105 said:
IMG_7861.jpg

IMG_7863.jpg

IMG_7865.jpg

I gave it one last go after trying penetrationg oil and brute force. I filled up the vessel with caustic soda and let it bubble away hoping that it would eat through some of the alu shim to get the seatpost moving. I let it work for a couple of hours drained it out and then attached a metal rod to the end of the seatpost clamp to try to get better leverage. I wedged the metal bar between to big static sturdy pipes to act as a clamp (my studio is in an old mill that was run on steam so all the old massive pipework is still in place).
AND...... nothing.
so off to the framebuilders it is.
Should have cut the seatpost and sealed bottom bracket and any holes in seat stays, headtube etc. That caustic soda mix looks far too week and two hours not long enough.

Re:

^^^ as above

I would have done it that way feeding from BB.

Have they cut it down now?

Freeze spray worked a treat for me too also as above.

Re:

coomber":3o0qpfyu said:
^^^ as above

I would have done it that way feeding from BB.

Just checked on mine, and because of this 80mm shell/shim there are no holes going into the stays or top tube.. plugg the seatpost turn it upside down and have a go :)

Back