Sunn Exact Ti stuck seatpost

Re:

In that case, take it to a framebuilder!

I don't want it if its mangled! :LOL:

What size is it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn5wuum96wtuy ... 9.jpg?dl=0
It's a pretty ratty looking scoundrel right now.the good bits;
Hope ti front hub on 517 sup with xt skewer
Hope (xc?) Rear hub on 517 sup with xt skewer
Ameoba titanium seatpost (if I can remove it!!
X-lite g-force risers
Hope c2 brakes
Brake therapy kit

The frame has no dents dings or cracks, just a few scratches and very tired looking stickers. Just a fooked seat post.

I'm 50-50 on what I'm doing with it.
If I was to keep it;
Probably keep the wheel set on it (or replace with a spare set of hope pro 2 in red and blue for some bling)
Pace rc 31
Avid mags
Avid mag v-brakes bronze\orange or shimano DX in red
Red Chris king headset
Keep the seatpin if I can
X-lite fly stem
Modern xt or race face cranks
Single speed

Re:

Looks a mess!

Is it the shim or the tube that's been cut into? Looks severe in the pic?

Looks like the start of a crack at the bottom of the seattube slit too?

There's plenty of access now it's been flared to get it soaking. Get penetrating oil in there for a week see how that helps.

Fortunately it's the shim that's been cut into. It does look like there's a tiny crack on the relief hole at the bottom of the slit (looks like it was made from the last owner trying to pry it open!). I think from where he has tried prying it open it has tightened up the back of the seat tube. I think once I have removed the seatpin I will drill out a slightly bigger hole to stop the crack and then very carefully re-shape the top Of the seat tube as I think there is a chance that it's been ovalised.

Re:

Aouch.. that doesn't look nice :facepalm:

first off - it's sort of a shim, but it isn't removable, have it on my exact ti as well.. second - and a good thing is that it's only about 80mm long, like reinforcement, it ends just under the top tube.. This shim/shell is the only thing that hold the seatpost.. I would trash the seatpost instead of the frame, that's for sure :)

Good luck and let me know if you decide to sell :shock:

Ahh. Thanks for the knowledge. I presumed that it was a shim for a smaller seatpost. I have a feeling this might be time consuming. I might start taling offers now as it is!

Re:

Have you tried a pair of stilsons after soaking with wd40? Have you tried putting the seat post in a vice and turning the frame? Is it bare ti, possibly apply some heat to break the seal? Fancy putting an alloy sleeve in there, what were they thinking! Good luck! You will win in the end!

Try ice spray and heat. Heat to the frame, ice spray inside (or onto) the seatpost. This will expand the frame a bit while shrinking the seatpost.

If that doesnt work, I would use caustic soda or drain cleaner to dissolve the aluminium shim. The shim is part of the frame thou. It was glued in.
Still should not be too big if a problem to get a differnt shim afterwards.

Back