Sunn Cycloss - a gravel design before it's time?

wallonie11

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I've recently finished building this old Sunn Cycloss frameset up. It arrived in a very anonymous and rather neglected state (incorrect sized seatpost, seized stem, etc). I believe it is from 1998.
The geometry is pretty special, with big clearance far beyond a 33mm CX tyre, so hopefully going to be great for the longer off road rides I enjoy that invariably involve lengthy hike-a-bike sections.
I've looked online a lot, but can't find much info on it, so hoping someone on here might know a little more about the design
Despite the presence of mudguard eyes on the dropouts (standard sunn stamped mtb from what I can tell) there are no bottle bosses. That would make sense for a traditional cross bike, but this is anything but that!
Meanwhile the fork looks original, but has double eyelets on the dropouts. Other pics ive found online show forks with either single or no eyelets. Perhaps it has been replaced, or 1" chrome forks were generic enough there was little consistency in what they used?
The final bit of fun was the front mech, which is top pull. I figured I would just put a mtb triple on, but the cages were so deep they rubbed off the chainstay. Luckily I sourced an old Shimano CX top pull that works well. However, the frame predates that component by at least 14 years, so what did they use originally?
However, no grumbles! I've always wanted a Sunn off-road bike, but have given up on 26" wheels. This does the job perfectly. Right now it has 38mm tyres but I'm pretty confident that 45mm will fit alright which opens up great riding options.
The new retro decals from France add a super splash of colour, now I just need to clear the flu and go get it muddy! IMG_20221225_140157717_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20221225_140147857_HDR.jpg

Nice, like it! 😎

I would say the fork has been replaced at some point as first two images I found have single eyelets and a mount half way up the legs.

3F3D44B6-33C8-4A8C-ADD3-357FF7F4BE4E.jpeg
B04D1BC4-E9C9-4B93-8EFD-A76558A79047.jpeg

Yeah, I've found those images. The catalogue image doesn't show any mounts on the legs though. However, either way, it adds to the weirdness. Why have mounts on the fork legs, but no bottle mounts?

Yeah, I've found those images. The catalogue image doesn't show any mounts on the legs though. However, either way, it adds to the weirdness. Why have mounts on the fork legs, but no bottle mounts?
A cx bike with mounts for mudguards so it can be used for a commute. Most commutes aren't so long that you would need bottle cages. I have seen varying dropouts used on different series of bikes often.

My two cents.. I love the bike by the way

Lovely bike. I've had a Sunn CX on my list for sometime. They were a true CX bike - to be raced for 1 hr with no slacking reaching down for some booze. It was great they did these and used their MTB know how at that period. The top-pull mech is a great touch.

..... Luckily I sourced an old Shimano CX top pull that works well. However, the frame predates that component by at least 14 years, so what did they use originally?

Guess you went for the CX70. There's not much choice sadly for off the shelf top-pull STI compatible FDs.

At the time it would have had a bar end friction / ratchet shifter for the FD; no indexing.

Back