Pace RC40 value?

Ren Rawbor

Fat Chance Fan
As per title, just looking for a rough value for a set of RC40 the lad just picked up as part of a job lot. 1 1/8 steerer about 200mm long. Stanchions are in nice shape, crown and carbon lowers have a few scratches but no huge gouges that I can see. Stickers are mostly gone but replacements available.

Full disclosure, the left dropout had come unbonded from the lowers and I've stripped that down and reattached it with JB weld which has come out well and seems strong as it ever was.
Travel express (130-100mm travel i believe) damping, lockout and "launch control" all appear to work as intended although the seal on the rebound/lockout leaks if the forks are laid flat so would be worth addressing if he sells them. I reckon they're worth somewhere round £150, close or way off?

Also if anyone has experience of using these or RC41, what did you reckon to them?

Cheers

I had a pair of these bitd and they're lovely, when working but a little fragile. Very plush for the time. Value wise the re-bonded bit will probably stuff you as it'll put people off. I'd have said £150-200 but with the fix more likely around £100 if you can find someone willing to take the chance. All dependant on condition of course as any one after a pair these days will what them tidy.

I believe Pace still service them so should be able to provide parts.

That's kind of what I expected, the fact they've had a (effectively structural) failure killing the value although I'm quite happy to ride them the way it's turned out. will have to get photos but I'd say they're cosmetically not terrible just a bit of finish loss round the crown mainly by the rebound adjuster. Have to say the lack of preload adjustment is a turn-off for me too & it feels like they have the heaviest spring currently. I did see that Pace have a set that've been brand-newified for sale at the moment so good to know they're still supporting their old kit.

To be honest I think the lad should invest in a softer spring, jam them back in the Trek Fuel frame they came with & see how he gets on with them as I think he'll like them but will stick a for sale post up if I can't convince him. Cheers for the reply, Dan

Back