Stumpjumper (1988) knowledge needed

craigsmith

Retrobike Rider
Does anyone have the paint colours and/or decal reference for a 1988 Stumpjumper Comp? This is the purple/white model - any Stumpjumper decal would help as a template, but the correct colourway would be ideal.

I have the bike but it's painted black. Shame.

My dad has one totally original, Its a lovely pearl white, the specialized decals are Blue splat with violet lettering from memory.

Has 18 speed XT groupo with U brake, let me know if this is the puppy and I will get some pics take at the weekend.

That would be great, thanks. Had mine since '88 too, but your Dad was obviously more careful with his.

Zigzag on this site has created replica transfers for a Rockhopper of that period recently. You should chat with him on how he's done it.
Also Jamie Dyer also on this site has the bike you have in original colours I believe.

Decals

Hello
I have a complete set of decals for when one of my Stumpies gets repainted. They arent in those colours but if you would like them scanned I can do that no problem.
I have a complete set of the yellow Stumpjumper with black background/midsection, with the tange japan seat tube one as well.
Also a purple/mauve stumpjumper with the orange background, this set doesnt have the seatube decal but otherwise both sets are complete with headtube, Stumpjumper and Specialized decals.
I can scan them or take a couple of high res pics with measurements so gil could make them in the colour you would want.
The orange and white are from the grey/white frame model. Though these will be going on my red single speed Stumpy once I get round to painting it pearl white. :cool:
My other 88 Stumpy is red and white with the blue shaded decal. They are all the same just with differing colours. They would have to be made the right size as the downtube Stumpjumper and the toptube Specialized are one decal that wraps around the tube with the coloured section in the middle joining each side together. The coloured section covers the join of the two paint colours underneath which is just a straight line.
Will try and scan one to make sure its the type your after.
Hope this makes sense :LOL: It does to me but its very late and I'm not long in from a busy day.

Jamie

decals

Hello again
This is a couple of them.
I did copy them for someone else and it may have been Zigzag so he could get the measurements, not really sure.
Anyway this is the style.
let me know if you want detail measurements or proper size scans.
Cheers
Jamie

Stumpydecals2-1.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their answers so far. I love this site.

Jamie, Stumpjumper expert, that's excellent info. I'd really appreciate a scan/pic with measurements - I am going to go through Gil (when he gets round to me!). Also, could you tell me how far along the top and down tubes the paint colours change - an 18-inch frame? And I will have to work out the 'Comp' lettering style and positioning.

The final thing is to try to remember the correct shades of purple and white. I have old magazines - but they're hardly precise.

I will get you detailed pics at the weekend if thats ok, He has only recently aquired it, My dad is becoming a retro nut too and has 4 retro bikes now (all gates :LOL: )

Here is a crappy picture of it

Attachments

• Stumpy.jpg
    Stumpy.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,929
decals

No problems
I will scan tomorrow and measure as well.
Gravy, that is a double gate :shock: your dad must be 16 foot tall ;)
Jamie

Thats one gate I'd like to vault, didn't know you could get Stumpy's that big, thought they stopped at 21".

I'll just have to stick with my 23" Hardrock and I wish i'd kept my 25" Schwinn Mesa runner :LOL:

Back