‘92 Brodie Sovereign - Colours & Decals

7Speed

Retro Guru
I was lucky enough to get hold of one of my dream bikes - a ‘92 Brodie Sovereign. It came with the very special Gatorblade fork in black. The rebuild will be a little slow as I need to get it re-sprayed given the frame has seen some action (i.e. been used as intended). I plan to do the same - it’s not a wall hanger or trophy bike.

I will put up a build thread shortly but wanted some input on frame respray colours and decals.

1. Decals 1 - Does anyone have a good photo of the Brodie Select tubing decal? I would look to get it recreated but mines a bit tired and worn. I assume the second was a Canadian flag. See pics below:

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Decals 2 - I can look to get the Brodie and Sovereign Decals put under the clear coat. Would you do this which seams tidy and will look better for longer, or go with the true to original approach of quite thick surface decals?

Last edited:
It sounds like your mind is made up, and of course it's your bike and you should do whatever you want with it, but for me that looks like it would t-cut and auto-glym up a treat. Maybe give it a go before you commit? Original decals look to be in great shape (for their age)

Lovely lovely frame, following with interest.

Colours - Brodie bikes came with DuPont Imron Colours (snap below of the 1990 catalogue Colours options page). The Gatorblade is black and in good condition. Would you go with restoration in the original brighter green? I really like the Sovereign Blue…

Build - I am looking to rebuild with a mix of m730/732/733/735 - thumb shifters and Syncros kit (for the bits I can get hold of) if that affects your thinking. As a ‘92 I could also go with XTR m900…but it doesn’t feel right. Wheels Ritchey Vantage Pro or Comp on XT 730/732.

Feedback welcomed.

I promise I will get the P-21 build up soon. So many people helped me with it and it just needs assembly after moving house. IMG_0698.png

Last edited:
It sounds like your mind is made up, and of course it's your bike and you should do whatever you want with it, but for me that looks like it would t-cut and auto-glym up a treat. Maybe give it a go before you commit? Original decals look to be in great shape (for their age)

Lovely lovely frame, following with interest.
I would need to get rid of the rattle can silver paint job on the rear stays…but I am interested in that idea. Thanks T.

Last edited:
I would need to get rid of the rattle can silver [ain’t job on the rear stays…but I am interested in that idea. Thanks T.
It's hard to see in the pics that the silver is rattle canned, but in that case I would agree the stays could benefit from some tlc.

Back