Stuck seatpost

Re: Stuck Post

I have removed posts using most methods including caustic soda my last
one proved a challenge after two weeks
penetrating fluids heat and freezing I ended breaking the bench. Saw off post and use a reverse cut saw blade positive result using a deep blade and two cuts easy the best effort to date.

Imlach":2rrkjx8j said:
Despite failing everything that had to do with physics and chemistry I've taken it upon myself to use caustic soda. Bought myself some safety goggles and gloves, suited up and now I've added it through the BB and now I'm letting the bike sit upside down, while the caustic soda does its things. Will do it again tomorrow.

Cheers,
Chris

Now you see I like that. You can just feel the *uck-it point is reached :cool:

All we want though is photos. Of course we also wish you the best of luck.

Hell yeah, with your PPE on you can happily stroll to the corner shop to buy beer while you are waiting. :LOL:

First fill didn't go to plan as my duct tape seal failed. When I rinsed out I did see loads of fairly large black bits coming out so it must have done something. I have now fixed up a hose clamp with some inner tube which works far better. It's sizzling away like a nice steak, a very appropriate sound to calm the anxiety that a stuck seatpost gives me. Will clean it out again tonight and then give it another sip of the nasty soda in the morning. As its Friday tomorrow I'll be buying a 12 pack of beer to accompany the beautiful sizzling symphony of my seat tube.

To make myself feel better I have also been watching YouTube videos of people using various methods to extract their seatposts, only the successful attempts make it into my private playlist of feel good seatpost unseizing videos. A favourite of mine is a bearded fella who's playing with a blowtorch in the garage while disturbing drone music plays in the background. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUzFj2K8Ti4

Woz":eelaqi9b said:

Hell yeah, with your PPE on you can happily stroll to the corner shop to buy beer while you are waiting. :LOL:

My sister and her children visited today and said that I look like a serial killer in my PPE. The only thing I want to kill is this seatpost though.

EDIT: Also to the people that keep recommending cutting it, I totally would if it wasn't for the CND symbol, and I don't feel like drilling out the entire center of the post. Also, this method makes me feel like a mad scientist and I have seen good results.

Cheers,
Chris

Imlach":34jqh6qt said:
First fill didn't go to plan as my duct tape seal failed. When I rinsed out I did see loads of fairly large black bits coming out so it must have done something. I have now fixed up a hose clamp with some inner tube which works far better. It's sizzling away like a nice steak, a very appropriate sound to calm the anxiety that a stuck seatpost gives me. Will clean it out again tonight and then give it another sip of the nasty soda in the morning. As its Friday tomorrow I'll be buying a 12 pack of beer to accompany the beautiful sizzling symphony of my seat tube.

To make myself feel better I have also been watching YouTube videos of people using various methods to extract their seatposts, only the successful attempts make it into my private playlist of feel good seatpost unseizing videos. A favourite of mine is a bearded fella who's playing with a blowtorch in the garage while disturbing drone music plays in the background. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUzFj2K8Ti4

Woz":34jqh6qt said:

My sister and her children visited today and said that I look like a serial killer in my PPE. The only thing I want to kill is this seatpost though.

EDIT: Also to the people that keep recommending cutting it, I totally would if it wasn't for the CND symbol, and I don't feel like drilling out the entire center of the post. Also, this method makes me feel like a mad scientist and I have seen good results.

Cheers,
Chris

loved the youtube clip "it turns easy" !!!!!

how long is that pipe wrench?

hard to think that amount of twisting force wouldn't damage the frame.

It's a belter that wrench. I am no engineer and haven't got a clue about any of those things, but I imagine it can't do the frame much good. Aren't really meant to bend that way, but it got the job done. I like his primitive clamping setup. I sometimes wish I had the guts to be a caveman about things like this. But I'm hoping that my chemical attempt will lead to success.

Re:

Speaking as an engineer......with 40 years experience, I can tell you, nobody takes a blind bit of notice of what you say, even if they have paid you good money for the answer.

Normally the first bit of advice followed goes something like...

" my mate met a bloke in the pub, who said his mate, had a stuck post and got it out by epoxy welding a shotgun cartridge into the top of the seat tube and then hitting the pin with a pin punch and a copper faced hammer....."

legrandefromage":1u8mv3sz said:
What?! No 'speaking as an engineer' posts??

No speaking as a doctor, a psychiatrist, I'm all about "Tell me how that makes you feel, seeing that rare post totally knackered, and still not out yet. - Umm Interesting"

Back