Trouble removing shock bushes

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
Attempting to build up a frame an I need to swap the shock an retain the old bushes
I can't get them out of the shock body I ve ran a hacksaw blade between the shock body an Bush to create an groove an tried to prise them
Tried turning them with vice grips an warmed it up with a heat gun
What happens if I warm up the shock with a butane torch ?
It's an air shock appears to be sealed no visible valve
Should I drill a hole in it first
Was thinking about cutting it but the part that the bushes go is solid I think
Will try to ad a pic

I think it just has two top hat spacers
One on either side
Some one has bodged them in there

what will happen if you heat up the shock with a butane torch is that the oil will degrade and become very nasty, the seals may deteriorate dramatically and you will totally bugger the shock....

so...

this is the answer from an american mtb site:

'...you are 100% correct. I tossed the rubber mallet and took out the big boy hammer. Couple of hard whacks and the bolt broke loose...'

I think it's a question of engineering. ie the right amount of force applied in the right place.

if a non-split bushing, ie a single piece, another approach is to cut the bushing carefully from the inside, using a hacksaw blade - very fiddly and frustrating - making two cuts opposing each other, then knock out the two halves of the bushing. Obviously you do not want to cut the shock body, so the last .5 mm of cutting is pretty critical and must be done very very carefully.

Now..final thing, are these split bushings, as you suggest - If yes, then use a screwdriver sharpened to a sharp edge, or a small diameter flat punch - find the split between the bushing and let the whacking begin.

They are split bushes an have I found the split between the two can get a very small flat blade screwdriver in it
Trouble is no amount of whacking is achieving anything they are still in there solid
I m happy to sacrifice the shock to get the bushes out if needed
I thought if I warmed it up enough the alloy would expand an I would be able to tap the bushes out however I think that aera is solid alloy so not sure it will work

worth soaking in plus gas I think

and even with split bushes you can use the cutting method - but it does take time and patience

Loads of bushes on ebay etc from about £6, without removing them is the current shock hole diameter the same as the shock you wish to transplant to?

go buy a can of cold (pipe freeze)
or canned air and turn it upside down. (much cheaper than the 17 quid for pipe freeze)
cool the bushes by spraying into the hole.

remove and think "what a clever monkey I am".

go buy a can of cold (pipe freeze)
or canned air and turn it upside down. (much cheaper than the 17 quid for pipe freeze)
cool the bushes by spraying into the hole.

remove and think "what a clever monkey I am".

Nah.....

2 pounds of subtle and sensitive equipment. That's what you need. Put the rubber away and bring out the metal.
1701418746412.png

Now.....which one to choose....yep, second from left.....or third?

1701418841296.png

Back