Stuck Seat Post - Slide Hammer Loan Request.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

Ok, so I got myself into another fine mess. I have an aluminium frame with a stuck aluminium seat post. It ain't moving. The frame is soaking in Coca Cola for a few weeks and I'm pouring boiling water on the seat tube twice a day. Then I'll be filling the seat tube with Plus Gas and doing the same, another two weeks of soaking and boiling water. I then need a Slide Hammer to try and get the post out before I do 'The Nasty' and get the hack saw out.

Does anyone have a slide hammer I can borrow for a short while?

Thanks in advance.

Trebz

The old stuck seat post question... prepare yourself for 101 different ways of ''the best way to do it is''
All I can tell you Coca Cola won't do anything so don't waste your money on that, in its concentrate state it would probably dissolve the post & the frame, mixed with 90% water and a drop of Carbon Dioxide it'll do nothing!
Good luck & keep us posted on your eventual prefered method!

Yes drink the cola and save your money. I do sympathise though and you may have some work on your hands. Bottom line is that the alloy to alloy corrosion bond will make your post hard to shift, heat from a heat gun followed by application (s) of penetrating oil or diesel may help. Cutting the top of the seatpost off and then reaming using a modified flat wood bit is one tip from the CUK forum . Cutting only viable if not much post inserted with higher chance of alloy frame damage as difficult to cut evenly. Lots of hints & tips from Sheldon https://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html and also here https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1713354#p1713354

What he's not told you it is (was) your finest Syncros post, cut off 3" above and a hole for sticking a 12mm or so bar through it, it doesn't twist with a hammer (yet), and and about 8 inches into the frame.
Oh and it's a really nice frame.

Last edited:
This gives me anxiety thinking about it.

Since it’s a Pace would it be worth paying the Seatpost man £79 to remove? Better than cracking it

Save the Pace and leave the post where it is.. make adjustments by either wearing platform sneakers, or drop the saddle by drilling a hole through it and threading the post through the hole... you’ll need plenty of lube!

I have seen the subject in question. I think a slide hammer is definitely the best option to try next if someone has one available to borrow.

Back