Steel Kona conversion to discs

Afflicted.John

Dirt Disciple
Dear People,
Been a while since I have graced these digital shores.... during that time I have been quietly going about my business raising sproggs etc.

A recent sojourn to Canada had my whole family doing a big of mountain biking around Banff and we now have the idea that we are going to do it more often. So my delicious Explosif is getting a resurrection. Or I might buy a new bike... :shock:

I rode a half decent bike with hydraulic discs and wondered if maybe to do a conversion on the Kona as I dig it out. In recent years I have wasted/used it for commuting infrequently. I thought about grabbing maybe a filthy 27.5" bike in the autumn sales but want to rule out a trip to the local mike shop, service and possible disc conversion first. Googling seems to indicate that the Rocknroll adapter would work but I am wondering about getting one braised on. I might need a possible respray but screw it.

On the one hand, £30 plus new wheels etc (where have the 26" wheelsets bloody gone???!!) opposed to £70-80 for braze ones. I suppose what I am asking is that many of you will have tried the adapters over the past few years and what are your thoughts? Adapt or braze?

Thank you.

PS: 1x9/10? WTF has happened in the last few years? This is alien!!!!

At risk of being shot down for heresy...

Putting discs brakes on the Explosif will “improve” the braking, it won’t make it ride like a modern bike, half decent or otherwise. It will still be ‘97 Explosif (in no way a bad thing).

Not sure how available adaptors are now, I wouldn’t touch the five pound ones on eBay with a barge pole, the braking load will be being taken by the seat stay at a place it was never expected to take a load in that direction.

Using Argos as a pricing example, I doubt you’d get much change out of £250 for doing the frame properly, and could easily be more. Then you need the disc brakes, the wheels, possibly replacement forks...

For a similar amount of money, you could get a perfectly serviceable modern hardtail, it won’t be “top of the range” like your Explosif was, but won’t be a complete boat anchor either.

As for 1xN transmissions and 26” wheels, rightly or wrongly (a whole world of debates and arguments in their own right) the bike world has moved on.

I guess what I’m saying is, you could throw a whole lot of money modernising the Explosif but it still won’t be a modern bike. A bit like sticking decent brakes on a Triumph Vitesse will not make it an MX5.

A good set of period xt v brakes and levers would probably be more than adequate with decent pads. They stop me well enough. I have hydro and cable disc on others. All are capable of stopping my enormousness.

I suppose the adapter would be easier to reverse if you ever decided to.

For what i imagine you will be riding it on, then either V's or Magura's like above would be fine.

Re:

I made an adaptor for a guy to do this to his Kona, it was 10 years or so ago and can't remeber who it was.

It was on this forum though.

Keep the Explosif as is- its lovely. Just buy a 26er Cotic Soul or Cove Handjob as they are pretty cheap now.

If it were me I'd get a proper length fork for the kona and build it period spec, and buy either a more modern disc frame and build up a disc brake bike with that fork and parts, or just buy a new bike. 2020 bikes will be out soon so 2019 bikes will start popping up on sale. Either way, the Kona deserves to be put back to its origins.

I have a 93 filled brazed Alves that went back to Charlie for a disc conversion. No extra seat/chain stay brace. I’m running cable discs as my regular rider. Modern forks and a mixture of bits. Very similar ride to a top Kona but bettererer.

Attachments

• 05FA5E32-CD41-4C4F-9198-3D5BC84A3CDA.jpeg
    05FA5E32-CD41-4C4F-9198-3D5BC84A3CDA.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 855
Re:

I very nearly did this to my HeiHei, even had Hope disc hubs and XT hydo disc brake set ready. In the end i kept it on rim brakes and so glad i did. Love the originality of the frameset. It is what it is.

PS: fitted Magura HS33s, super powerful but heavy. Finally went with Ritchey Logic cantis from a ‘95 Cinder Cone with fresh pads and new mavic rims, the braking is plenty good enough.

FWIW i defo wouldn’t convert that explosif.

Back