1999 Kona Chute Hope Disc Conversion Issues

MSYT

Retro Guru
Hey folks

Thought I’d do a simple Hope disc swap on my 99 Kona Chute today. The frame has IS disc tabs and the Judy XLC also has IS mounts.

IMG_6815.jpeg

I had a set of Hope Mono Mini brakes spares with both calipers marked as 3. This should have given me a front disc size of 185mm and rear as 165mm according to the table I found through a search on here.

They’re fitted to a set of Hope XC hubs.

I managed to find the correct spec discs (185/165mm) through my LBS

All was going well until I fitted the wheels 😅 The front disc scrapes against the caliper where as the rear disc seems to be around 5 to 10mm too small. I realised I need to space out the rear caliper too around 5mm as it won’t bolt flush to the frame.

IMG_6818.jpeg
IMG_6822.jpeg

Question - has anyone done this swap here? Does anyone have a suggestion for the rear?

The front should be an easy fix just chucking on a 180mm disc but the rear is confusing me.

Attachments

• IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6817.jpeg
    IMG_6817.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6819.jpeg
    IMG_6819.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6820.jpeg
    IMG_6820.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6821.jpeg
    IMG_6821.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 7
Never mind.

Trialed a 180mm rotor front and rear and it looks like a 175mm might give the best fit

It also looks like my IS mount on the rear could be backwards 😅 Comparing it to another Chute I’ve found on eBay… the straight part of mine is at the bottom near the dropout where as on the other frame it’s at the top 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_6849.png
    IMG_6849.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6850.jpeg
    IMG_6850.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6846.jpeg
    IMG_6846.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 6
A lot of early disc fittings (pre2002🤔) were all over the place.
both in design and execution!

We used to have drawers of spacers and a mound of different discs to try to set it up ok - leaving aside the £300 tool to face the mounts to be actually parallel to the rotor.
Sometimes we might actually have to file the dropout, especially if they were uneven or misaligned🤯!

When post mount came in, not only were there slots in the caliper for alignment, you could pack them easily with washers for alignment or size

Luckily, once you've got this one sorted, it's sorted.

A lot of early disc fittings (pre2002🤔) were all over the place.
both in design and execution!

We used to have drawers of spacers and a mound of different discs to try to set it up ok - leaving aside the £300 tool to face the mounts to be actually parallel to the rotor.
Sometimes we might actually have to file the dropout, especially if they were uneven or misaligned🤯!

When post mount came in, not only were there slots in the caliper for alignment, you could pack them easily with washers for alignment or size

Luckily, once you've got this one sorted, it's sorted.

How did that facing tool work with IS then? Did it clamp to the rotor or something like that?

It had a large dummy axle (20mm?), with a 10mm qr boss at 135mm width, so you clamped that into the dropouts, then a plate offered up various holes through which you could press the facing tool, and the tool length would cut the mount parallel and at the correct offset from the axle end - something like this: Screenshot_20240331-222649_Firefox.jpg
Sadly your problem is that the is mounting holes are in the wrong p

As I've only dealt with Hope brakes upto the Mini I thought your numbers were wrong, so with a quick search the plot thickens,
Screenshot_20240331_234052_Chrome.jpg

Almost looks like the mount was an afterthought as discs were gaining in popularity around that time. My 2000/01 Kona Roast has integrated disc mounts into the dropout and I have Mono Minis which fit without an issue.

Hope you can work out a solution.

I hadn't thought that the caliper itself might be non-IS, I was thinking it was the mounting tab.

The earlier hope brakes came in a variety of options, with numbers etched in to the caliper.
20240401_091808.jpg Iirc the eye to eye distance was usually different. I was also thinking that by the time of the mono mini, it had all become much more standard.
We also have a box of hope caliper halves, but I think they are mostly the splittable minis before the monos

As I've only dealt with Hope brakes upto the Mini I thought your numbers were wrong, so with a quick search the plot thickens,
View attachment 835299

Oh ok interesting.

I found this thread giving these links
Post in thread 'Hope caliper numbers help'
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/hope-caliper-numbers-help.220444/post-1662700

It linked to this table.
IMG_6825.png

Both my calipers are definitely 3 but yeah if that the one you found is accurate 5mm smaller would work on the front. Might be why the set came with 180/160mm discs 😂

Just bad luck I guess that the rear disc tabs are welded on the wrong way round

There’s my caliper numbers. Both 3 🤙

Attachments

• IMG_6820.jpeg
    IMG_6820.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6817.jpeg
    IMG_6817.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 1
Back