Help kitting out a 97 Kona Kilauea for touring

Chopshop

Retro Newbie
This is the unfortunately the best photo I have of my bike, it's a 97' Kona Kilauea. I'm heading to Europe later this year for a 9 day tour in Italy/Austria. It's the first big trip I've been on as have previously only done 4 days with no gear on my bike. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with pannier racks/bags on this or similar bike? The Ortleib bags have been recommended and I'm keen to buy something decent as would like to think I will be doing more touring in years to come.

At the moment I'm thinking a handlebar bag, rear rack & panniers. I won't be carrying any camping gear or sleeping bags etc so travelling reasonably light.

Has anyone got suggestions for a suitable rear rack and do you know if the 20L bags would fit without heel strike issues? Also any other suggestions to make the trip easier/more comfortable welcome :) Thanks 20230615_121010.jpg

Ortlieb 20L bags are awesome, they last for ages. I’ve toured and commuted with mine for years. I use a Topeak rack, which is also been great and hard wearing. Yes, they may clip your heels!

Tips… honestly a Kilauea is not the best bike to go touring on IMHO. You probably can go touring with. It, but a beefier more upright bike would be my recommendation. I found my mountain bike turned to jelly when loaded, not fun.

Discs & mudguards. When it is steep and wet, being able to stop at speed is confidence inspiring. Mudguards just make sense on a tourer, why get wet? SKS full length ones would be my recommendation.

Check your rims for wear before you go - a rim failing at speed is horrible. It happened to me once on my tourer at 20mph and nearly spat me off.

Good luck.

Ortlieb 20L bags are awesome, they last for ages. I’ve toured and commuted with mine for years. I use a Topeak rack, which is also been great and hard wearing. Yes, they may clip your heels!

Tips… honestly a Kilauea is not the best bike to go touring on IMHO. You probably can go touring with. It, but a beefier more upright bike would be my recommendation. I found my mountain bike turned to jelly when loaded, not fun.

Discs & mudguards. When it is steep and wet, being able to stop at speed is confidence inspiring. Mudguards just make sense on a tourer, why get wet? SKS full length ones would be my recommendation.

Check your rims for wear before you go - a rim failing at speed is horrible. It happened to me once on my tourer at 20mph and nearly spat me off.

Good luck.
Thank you! A new bike is in the pipeline but not before the trip unfortunately due to budget! I'd like to get a bike for touring at some point and maybe keep my Kona for some light mountain biking around here, I've got some offroad tyres and suspension forks for it and I do love it.

Any advice about the Ortlieb bags and clipping heels or is it a case of order some and see and return if no good? I had intended to buy some mudguards also before we go and my brother has built me a new front wheel as this one is pretty old and he had the same happen to him some years ago so fingers crossed it'll be okay! We are pretty slow speed cyclists!

Looking more into the future, would you have any recommendations when it comes to looking for a touring bike? Where do you look, what do you look for, is there a way to try them out? I've had this bike for years and other than the odd day cycle on friends/family's bikes it's all i've really known. I'm always keen to buy second hand quality stuff than new cheap stuff, honestly my budget would not be a lot, would I get anything decent for £500 or less second hand? I'd be happy to buy something decent and upgrade bits over time also if that was an option.

I think maybe I recognise that bike from the CTC site? Are you going to put everything on the back? It might be an idea to include a bar bag to bring some weight forwards? Also useful for taking valuables with you when you stop. I’m planning to tour on my old mountain bike and have got a trailer to use which is another way of carrying the load. With the Kona having a small rear triangle, you want to check that your pedalling action isn’t compromised by your heels clipping any rear panniers. @hamster will have something useful to say.
Maybe some Limpet front bags (if you can find them) might be an idea.

Go to your local bike shop to get a good fit between the panniers and rack - ortliebs are very adjustable you won't catch your heel.
The rack might need extra spacer rods though as mtb frames are low at the back.
If you're lucky the lbs might know about adapting your bike for touring too.

I've ridden tours of over 1000 miles on my mtb - quality bar Bag and decent panniers, and you should have bar ends to give the ability to change hand position, and help riding out of the saddle.

Touring bikes have been a mainstay of our sales in the shop, and we've adapted many (early geometry) mtbs for customers to tour, without complaint.

I think maybe I recognise that bike from the CTC site? Are you going to put everything on the back? It might be an idea to include a bar bag to bring some weight forwards? Also useful for taking valuables with you when you stop. I’m planning to tour on my old mountain bike and have got a trailer to use which is another way of carrying the load. With the Kona having a small rear triangle, you want to check that your pedalling action isn’t compromised by your heels clipping any rear panniers. @hamster will have something useful to say.

My wife toured with me for some years on a 1998 Fire Mountain - it was fine, the only problem with it (16" frame) was getting the left rack top stay not to foul the v-brake noodle.
I agree 100% about bar bags as they allow you to take all your valuables with you - also you can keep a map in the top along with other small things like camera and sunglasses.

You can get low-rider racks to fit the front without special braze-ons, but then you take more stuff...the danger then is that it all becomes less fun.

Yes I did post on there a little while ago. I'm planning to get a bar bag as well, haven't quite figured out if it's best to go with a paper map or use my phone or what yet so that is another thing to consider before I buy those bits. We are doing the Alpe Adria so from what I have read and watched, it looks quite straightforward navigation wise. I actually have a toddler trailer that my boy has almost outgrown but am keeping it at least for this summer as me and my eldest were planning a couple day cycling/camping trip and I thought what a great way to just throw all the camping gear in! We won't be going far as she is only 7... Thanks for the suggestions :)

Go to your local bike shop to get a good fit between the panniers and rack - ortliebs are very adjustable you won't catch your heel.
The rack might need extra spacer rods though as mtb frames are low at the back.
If you're lucky the lbs might know about adapting your bike for touring too.

I've ridden tours of over 1000 miles on my mtb - quality bar Bag and decent panniers, and you should have bar ends to give the ability to change hand position, and help riding out of the saddle.

Touring bikes have been a mainstay of our sales in the shop, and we've adapted many (early geometry) mtbs for customers to tour, without complaint.
Thanks for the advice, I do have some bar ends now as I did miss being able to change positions on our last short trip. I'll gladly head to a bike shop though for some help/advice, just nice to know roughly what I'm after before I head in there :) Can't wait for the trip and am hoping it'll be the first of many more though it's not so easy to leave with two little people at home 😅

Ortlieb do a rigid handlebar bag, about the size of a shoe box, with room for your phone, charger, snacks etc. Not only does it keep your stuff handy, but if titled back slightly to present a corner to the wind, it is also a very efficient fairing for coping with headwinds!

Back