Steam waxoyling old camper - advice

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
Hello

A couple of years ago, I had a little midlife crisis and decided I wanted a fun car. I was thinking I'd buy a little japanese thing, but I saw a Romahome, and decided to go for that instead.

I bought a 1989 one which was OK and gave me some nice adventures for a couple of years.

When it failed its MOT on rust, I had it transplanted onto a structurally sound newer vehicle. It's in fabulous condition now and goes like a dream. It cost a lot of money, it's a bit of a rarity, and I have a responsibility to keep it nice.

Now, life took over a couple of years ago, and it's been off the road for the past two summers. But I'm going to reinstate it in the spring (I don't drive it when there's salt on the roads). For now, though, I am looking for an underbody treatment that I can apply to keep the body solid.

Do people still use Waxoyl, or is there something better now? If I can get a professional to do a better job than I would for a couple of hundred quid I'd be happy to go with them. But if I can do as good a job myself at home I'd rather do that.

What would you do? I know a few of you are into your old vehicles so would appreciate any thoughts.

Re:

I still have my cars wax oiled, the K70 is going in next week.... It'll be about £100.

I wouldn't do the job myself because it's bloody horrible!! Go to someone who knows what they are doing so they will make sure to get in all the cavities etc...

al.

I bought a mighty metro (stop laughing) a few years back it had been waxoiled earlier in its life. The underside and brake pipes were like new and it was all solid. Well worth doing if it can keep a rot box like that solid will work on anything.

Back