Smart Meters

Re:

I would say, until new proven meters installed, no further charges for usage or for faulty equipment. At least that is some compensation for your inconvenience.

Re:

I am still waiting to hear back from British Gas, I have Twitter and Ofgen to fall back on if I am unhappy with the answers.

Re: Re:

NeilM":z88yc4i5 said:
I'm originally an electronics engineer by training / profession, but I can't see any way of turning either of them on or off. There certainly are a few buttons on the meters, but I don't fancy prodding them at random in the hope of getting a response.

My thought is, as I can seen no electrical feed to the gas meter, that they are battery powered and the batteries have failed.

I thought that energy providers HAD to take a meter reading at least once a year.
Only whilst older meters are around, it'll change by industry pressure when we're all on smart meters.

Re:

Read recently its best to wait for the new versions which allow supplier swop over without compatability issues.

legrandefromage":71gf19bz said:
I dont believe you can be charged for the meters

With EDF at least, they are increasing charges to allow for these meters - whether you have them, or like me, don't - as well as 'increased supply costs'

Which reminds me, I must look into switching supplier.

Mike

Obviously not made by Rita as they’re not lovely.

I ave a donkey on a treadmill.

Re:

As I received no reply to my return e-mail, and then an aborted attempt to speak to me by phone, I thought I would take the initiative and ring British Gas.

I spoke to a very knowledgable guy who asked if I could access the meters, which I did, he then told me how to get readings from both, which I did. He looked at my account and said that as both meters had failed at the same time, he thought it was a comms issue, I said they were fine for two years, so he had me look at the little white transmitter next to the meters, sure enough that is the culprit.

So, upshot is an engineer from British Gas is coming to sort things out next week, my meter readings are now up to date and BG's overestimation of my electricity usage means I am going to get a sensible amount of money back.

Years ago I had issues with my broadband, and discovered a similar diamond within BT, the guy I spoke to talked me though the whole issue and we resolved it there and then, the guy at BG was the same last night, it seems that in a sea of corporate mediocrity, every now and again you come across someone who actually knows how to do their job and takes a pride in doing it.

Now all I need is for the engineer to do a good job.

Back