SLR / STi levers with cantis or v brake?

Re:

I'm not sure where the confusion is :) I have an MTB fork designed for 26" wheels and cantilever/v-brake bosses. As LGF guessed, it's a RockShox suspension fork (Mag21). In an ideal world I'll buy a RS Paris Roubaix SL fork, but they're rarer than hens teeth so unlikely to happen. Next best thing is to modify the Mag21 to work. I'd like to run it on a road bike which has caliper brakes.

The rear brake is irrelevant as it won't be changing (it's a sidepull caliper)

The front brake needs to work with the new fork and wheel, and existing drop bar lever. Either brake pad needs to be moved up to a 700c rim, or the rim down to the canti bosses :) All without spending HAHAHA$$

The easiest thing would be to drill the fork brace, but the Mag21 is alot thinner than the PR and I'm not sure how badly that would affect an already bendy fork, hence looking at other options.

I think probably the long reach V-brake calipers will probably be the next easiest / cheapest option and hopefully the feel won't be too different from the sidepull.

Re:

OK....Greg Lemond Paris Roubaix wannabe build :D

Not gonna put you off, but:

- saw a good article where the mechanic suggested they should be binned; just use fatter 700c tyres at lower pressure with a normal road fork.
- AFAIK you may have a problem with too much travel, a 700c in the 26" version may hit the fork crown when compressed.
- lord only knows what effect this
will have on geo and handling.

Gonna sit back now and wait for the build pics, :)

Yes I know all about their flaws, but it's a 25 yr old itch I want to scratch :)

The travel is 48mm whereas the Roubaix was 30mm, but that's at the softest setting. I'm not going to be riding pave so I reckon just running it stiffer should be fine and reduce the travel enough.

It's far from a 100mm+ "modern" MTB fork :)

Re:

Well, got to do it then.

In real terms, you are talking about a whopping 60% more travel to deal with ;-)

Suggest you start a new thread apropriatly named about the build; I think so far all the roadies who normally contribute with pics and info have checked themselves in to A&E with severe nose bleeds.

Seems only the handfull of hybrids here could nail down this mystery build.

*ahem*

fbike01.jpg

Re:

Oh Jesus. Why can't you be like all other roadies and just stick to EPO rather than going all Hawkwind?

Re: Re:

Pionir":1ozhvn25 said:
I'm not sure where the confusion is :) I have an MTB fork designed for 26" wheels and cantilever/v-brake bosses. As LGF guessed, it's a RockShox suspension fork (Mag21). In an ideal world I'll buy a RS Paris Roubaix SL fork, but they're rarer than hens teeth so unlikely to happen. Next best thing is to modify the Mag21 to work. I'd like to run it on a road bike which has caliper brakes.

The rear brake is irrelevant as it won't be changing (it's a sidepull caliper)

The front brake needs to work with the new fork and wheel, and existing drop bar lever. Either brake pad needs to be moved up to a 700c rim, or the rim down to the canti bosses :) All without spending HAHAHA$$

The easiest thing would be to drill the fork brace, but the Mag21 is alot thinner than the PR and I'm not sure how badly that would affect an already bendy fork, hence looking at other options.

I think probably the long reach V-brake calipers will probably be the next easiest / cheapest option and hopefully the feel won't be too different from the sidepull.

Well if you'd of explained it all like that in the begining i'd of known what you were upto :LOL: ..

If i were doing it i'd get a heavier steel gauge brace made up.
The long reach V-brake calipers will probably feel more direct tbh especially if it's a good quality XT/XTR setup .

I'm honestly just as much in the dark as you are doing this project as i've never thought about doing anything like this before let alone atempt to do it so unfortunately i don't have any great ideas to pass on as i'd of been tempted to go down the fitting a flexstem route and bigger size tyres which isn't what your after but would cushion the ride ..

Any way it will be interesting to see what suggestions are brought up by other members ..

Oh and just to explain, my existing road forks are heavier than a pair of PR forks, which is where the idea came from. Yes they are *really* heavy :) Also when i had them powder coated last year, the powder coater messed up the laquer on them so they look like a dog's dinner. Another reason to swap them.

Back