SLR / STi levers with cantis or v brake?

What exactly are you looking to build?

Sti + 26" wheels + cantilevers + 26" fork will be fine - as above 'low pro' cantilevers wont be very good if your rims are a bit narrow.

Pionir":3rfqvrkv said:
So am I right in thinking if my bosses are for a 26" mtb wheel, a standard canti or the mini v-brake won't actually reach the rim and I'll need a v-brake with a large range of adjustment to reach the rim (such as a Paul moto bmx levers)?

Sorry but this is incorrect.

I'm not sure why the muddying of the waters - boss to boss will be around 80mm spacing with the narrowest MTB rim around 21mm

Tolerance is between 78 to 85mm between the posts leaving 60mm for the canti/ mini v-brake.

The only thing you cant use are v-brakes and STI without some sort of cable pull multiplier, everything else will work including road specific cable disc calipers, rollercams and u-brakes.

Oh look, some bloke using low pro cantis, road sti/ levers!

raleigh_john_tomac_page_1-1024.jpg

Tried it and you can get away with especially if you run the pads as far away from the arms as possible. My experience was that the lever travel was a bit short and all the braking happened in the last 10mm even with the pads very close to the rim.
DiaCompe solved the problem with the 287 lever (NOT 287V) which pulled just that little bit more cable.

I just thought of a plan c)... Use a 26" wheel on the front.

Has anyone tried using a smaller wheel on the front on a large frame? (62cm). I guess it would need a pair of TT bars to complete the look :)

MTB fork (26") in a road frame with Road levers.

I think there are three possibilities

A) 700c wheel, long reach v brakes

B) 700c wheel, bmx canti stud adapter (to move them higher up), mini v brake or standard canti

C) 26" wheel, mini v brake or standard canti

Back