Wanted Avid SD Ultimate brake levers canti/v

LoL… i'm selling a black set

edit: sorry my bad. the black set is v specific, and not v chip version. :p

;)

Last edited:
Absolutely superb levers, but the ‘V chip’ version only just pulls enough cable for V brakes. Fine if you don’t mind a squishy feel with loads of modulation, but disappointing if you want something more solid feeling

LoL… i'm selling a black set

edit: sorry my bad. the black set is v specific, and not v chip version. :p

;)
Nice one for checking - that would have been very serendipitous if you had the v chip version :LOL:

Absolutely superb levers, but the ‘V chip’ version only just pulls enough cable for V brakes. Fine if you don’t mind a squishy feel with loads of modulation, but disappointing if you want something more solid feeling
Thanks for the info. Was on a ride on Tuesday with a friend who unfortunately ended up in A&E after a collision with a car - making me re-think my brakes plan for the new build...

Don’t get me wrong, they should be ok. I like my brakes with a soft feel but lots of folk prefer them more on/off, which to me feels wooden.
With Paul Motolites for example the Avids still feel spongy set to the maximum cable-pull, but they’re acceptable (and Very powerful)

I've only ever used cantis so it's gonna be a little bit trial and error with Vs, main priority is stopping power and reliability (oh and looks too :p)

Nice one for checking - that would have been very serendipitous if you had the v chip version :LOL:
i do actually have a spare set with v chip, but not looking to sell at the moment. if that changes i'll let you know.

may have others on bikes, i'd have to check. but of course they're in use so not available ATM.

personally if you are mixing v and canti, i'd go with v specific levers to get full stopping on the v brake and try dialing back the cable pull on the lever for the canti since they are adjustable.

from what i recall, the v chip did very little to increase the cable pull needed and left the braking somewhat spongy for v brakes.

i do actually have a spare set with v chip, but not looking to sell at the moment. if that changes i'll let you know.

may have others on bikes, i'd have to check. but of course they're in use so not available ATM.

personally if you are mixing v and canti, i'd go with v specific levers to get full stopping on the v brake and try dialing back the cable pull on the lever for the canti since they are adjustable.

from what i recall, the v chip did very little to increase the cable pull needed and left the braking somewhat spongy for v brakes.
I’m beginning to think you’re right - it’s a better compromise to just go with v brake levers.

Back