Single speed

i'm on 1-7 on my commuter (42t front and 12-28 rear) right now and i love it. thought about going single speed but the deore dx short cage derailleur is way too sexy to strip. apart from that i would want to give up the flexibility of gears. still might give it a try in the future but i'm quite sure that vienna and its hills are a hassle to ride with ss.

Thanks for the info but living at the foot of the Yorkshire Wolds i think i will stick to my geared bikes.

i find the term "singlespeed" a bit false , i find multi geared bikes are singlespeed , the riders just pedal the same cadence no matter the terrain :? putting no more or less effort in but relying on ratios to save them

i saw a lad aproach a hill earlier while i was walking due to a puncture ( :roll: ) came up to it at a jogging pace then cliclicliclcikcrunchhh he was in 1st and spinning so much it was comical

still beat him to the top while pushing my wounded steed :LOL:

multi gears just breed lazyness , it reminds me of that mint sauce where he gets a road bike and all the scenes he has the same expression then eventually keels over with boredom

with all the multigears , 6" of suspension , goretex and satnavs you could just save the two grand and hire someone to go outside for you and submit a report on their return . your that removed from the experience anyway you could do something else with the time :LOL:

velomaniac":2rqfzrpo said:
I do not follow the established SS format of 2:1 gear ratio and On-one are not in my opinion the best bet.

But I still love SS.

Says it all for me :D :D

perry":335r27ck said:
i find the term "singlespeed" a bit false , i find multi geared bikes are singlespeed , the riders just pedal the same cadence no matter the terrain :? putting no more or less effort in but relying on ratios to save them

i saw a lad aproach a hill earlier while i was walking due to a puncture ( :roll: ) came up to it at a jogging pace then cliclicliclcikcrunchhh he was in 1st and spinning so much it was comical

still beat him to the top while pushing my wounded steed :LOL:

multi gears just breed lazyness , it reminds me of that mint sauce where he gets a road bike and all the scenes he has the same expression then eventually keels over with boredom

with all the multigears , 6" of suspension , goretex and satnavs you could just save the two grand and hire someone to go outside for you and submit a report on their return . your that removed from the experience anyway you could do something else with the time :LOL:

For me, single speed refers to the fact that the bike only has a single gear and not that your cadence is at a single speed (which it certainly isn't! :) ).
I guess that's another reason they're called one geared bikes...

Back in the days when I used to ride geared all the time and my legs weren't as strong I found myself pedalling up a really steep muddy hill, a mate of mine couldn't pedal his bike any more so he got off and pushed, he was walking almost as quick as I was pedalling! But, it's harder to ride up a hill propelling 2 stone of bike than it is to walk and I'd rather ride up a hill than walk up one any day.

Road riding isn't really for me, but I do get out there occasionally (I have a road bike and a slick shod MTB) it is enjoyable for a lot of people though and I respect that.

I don't care what folk are riding or wearing, I just think that it's good to see all sorts of people out on all sorts of bikes wearing whatever keeps them comfortable. GPS etc? I haven't gone there yet (still a paper map man) but I'd never rule it out.

Steve

Like I said on a previous thread ss is cycling marmite,but please don't knock it till you've tried it.I absolutely love it :D

MJN":2nmrgwio said:
Like I said on a previous thread ss is cycling marmite,but please don't knock it till you've tried it.I absolutely love it :D

I agree with that. I'm a convert who didn't understand what it was all about until I tried it about three years ago now. It's pretty much all I ride these days. I've been out on my ss around the Lincolnshire Wolds for 35 miles today, went with a mate who was riding his geared bike, he's pretty fit (for a part time cyclist like myself) but I demolished him without hardly trying.

like cycling in general its just good fun :D

and except for the initial outlay its reallly cheap :LOL:

ive found its hard not to go fast though . i mean youl see someone in the distance and increase the effort to reel them in , on passing give a big smiled hearty hello ( often met with either disbelief or disgust :? ) but safe in the knowledge they just got blown away by a crappy one gear but once passed you cant slow down as that would give people the impression your either tired or youve ran out of gear . then you see someone out in front and think ill take them too :LOL: so the entire time your flat out :LOL:

if i need to go up a hill i just have to try harder , no " ill turn the cranks once more then shift down , oh sod it " click click :LOL: if i do eventually reach the point where the gradient beats my weight ill just walk and look at the scenery not like theres someone chasing me with a big stick with some nails in it :LOL:

Hey Perry, see you're another Lincs bloke, where do you do your pedalling? Nice to see another fellow ss er BTW.

Latest posts

Back