Peugeot 501sl SS

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Tried to post this in the Retrobike Single Speed thread but I can't find it anymore!

Anyway, I scored this as a full bike recently and the frame quality was a lot better than that of the components so I decided to build it up as a simple single speed with a spare Campag crankset, Mavic Open Sport/Ambrosio hub wheelset and cinelli bars/stem. Really cool quill seatpost on this one - haven't had one of these before! Just need to reverse the tyre on the rear wheel and it'll be good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_080852.jpg
    IMG_20230725_080852.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 41
very nice.

Great looking bike! I like these old Pugs :) No criticism intended but I think the chain looks a bit tight and possibly a little short as the wheel looks to be only just in the dropouts. To move it back you could add an additional two chain links but this may be too much with the wheel then too far back in the dropouts to tension. As a quick fix I suggest a chain tensioner. Easy to DIY - I made one for my hub gear bike using an old V brake arm! Bear in mind this won't work if you ever decide to go full fixed wheel which takes no prisoners......

Great looking bike! I like these old Pugs :) No criticism intended but I think the chain looks a bit tight and possibly a little short as the wheel looks to be only just in the dropouts. To move it back you could add an additional two chain links but this may be too much with the wheel then too far back in the dropouts to tension. As a quick fix I suggest a chain tensioner. Easy to DIY - I made one for my hub gear bike using an old V brake arm! Bear in mind this won't work if you ever decide to go full fixed wheel which takes no prisoners......
Hello! I get what you're saying regarding chain length, IMO it is just about acceptable as the axle is in the dropout in its entirety and tightened down. If I were riding fixed with this one (gone are those days!) then yes, I'd definitely err on the side of caution and probably get a half link in there or try a different sized sprocket even. Appreciate the reply!

Hello! I get what you're saying regarding chain length, IMO it is just about acceptable as the axle is in the dropout in its entirety and tightened down. If I were riding fixed with this one (gone are those days!) then yes, I'd definitely err on the side of caution and probably get a half link in there or try a different sized sprocket even. Appreciate the reply!
Hi, many thanks and great to hear that your bike is all good and most importantly that you like the build! I ride (and scare myself occasionally ) riding fixed and I definitely don't need to advise as you too have been there :D.

Hi, many thanks and great to hear that your bike is all good and most importantly that you like the build! I ride (and scare myself occasionally ) riding fixed and I definitely don't need to advise as you too have been there :D.
Let's see a pic of your fixie!

I've had a few over the years but literally don't have the energy and legs for it nowadays 🤣

I need to take a better picture I think. Anyway here you go, an old Falcon 531 with rather relaxed geometry. Wheels are 700c. For extra kudos the front wheel is old Campag Record on MA2. Gearing is 48 x 19 which seems a good compromise. In keeping with your Peugeot theme >>a picture of my own falcon.JPG Pug_1.JPG Pug 531 which is very much a bitza! Rides really well :)

I need to take a better picture I think. Anyway here you go, an old Falcon 531 with rather relaxed geometry. Wheels are 700c. For extra kudos the front wheel is old Campag Record on MA2. Gearing is 48 x 19 which seems a good compromise. In keeping with your Peugeot theme >>a picture of my own View attachment 763802View attachment 763801Pug 531 which is very much a bitza! Rides really well :)
Amazing. Peugeots are so cool and yours is no exception 😎

Back