Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

Lovely build Mr Mac, and a bargain too.
Definitely recommend 32c if they will fit. Tend to be a bit more robust and will handle main tracks round Tentsmuir well. Can always go back to 28 If you have a longer road ride you want to do.
Go with the widest mudguards that will fit. Always better to have extra clearance you don’t need.

Re: Re:

clubby":3g7jc8s4 said:
Lovely build Mr Mac, and a bargain too.
Definitely recommend 32c if they will fit. Tend to be a bit more robust and will handle main tracks round Tentsmuir well. Can always go back to 28 If you have a longer road ride you want to do.
Go with the widest mudguards that will fit. Always better to have extra clearance you don’t need.

May make up another set of wheels. Have a couple of hope titanium road hubs here so may make up a set for 32 and have the 28 and some slick 25 conti’s that came with bike so as you say could have a set for if plan longer ride

Think 32’s will be best as wanted a hack I could use for everything, grab and go for road but main tracks in tentsmuir or similar too and cope with some of the crap potholed rubbish cycle paths as well. But the 28’s were brand new, unused and free so a good starter to see how I get on.

Re:

Do modern tyres need pressured up to snap the rim to the bead? Was so hard to get these tour ride tyres mounted it was rediculous and not convinced front particularly is sitting as well as it should..... just wondered if due to modern tubeless if it needed snapped into place with pressure like a car tyre or anything.

Re:

Got a decent pump coming so will let air out and give tyre a good manipulation on rim to make sure sitting on rim properly then give em as good pump up to high pressure and then let the down go where I think pressure should be (probs bear their max cos I ain’t no lightweight.

I spent a few hours over the last day or so recommisioning my 1965 Claud Butler Olympic Sprint. Its been my commuter bike for a few years and I've done between 3k and 4k on it. It's rarely been washed and seldom had any maintenance. The poor soul has been hanging in the garage festering for the best part of 2 years. Just for fun I made a video of the process. It's taken me longer to edit the video than it did to get the bike back on the road.
I hope the link works. Sorry the video quality is crap , I had to compress it so much to upload it to Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/405101297

That's a great video mate, enjoyed watching that. Came up a treat, not that I thought it was too bad before hand mind.
There's a couple of mine that could do with that, for sure. :)
Keep them coming.

Jamie

Re:

Enjoyed that bid, sort of recommissioning of the sort of bike I like.
Couple of tricks for stuck cotter pins.
1 free off with boiling water, ice cold water and lots of penetrating oil.
2 tap the pin out by repeated taps with a small to medium hammer. Might take a while but hitting it hard with a big hammer will deform pin. The repeated shocks can shift it.
3 use of bench vice. Put a socket wrench head or something over wide end of pin to create void to drop pin into then squeeze pin out by tightening vice.
4 in extreme cases tap pin then drill it out. Never done latter personally but seen it done, takes time and very noisy.
5 cut axle with grinder then disassemble bb and bin the lot. Helped do this in past, very extreme but sometimes only way.
6 easiest option, which you have done, leave it the f*** alone, if it ain't bust, don't fix it. Also you can dribble oil into bb via axle or even drill wee hole in top of shell and fill from there. Many older bikes used oil in a constant loss system instead of grease and they ran for years problem free.

Re:

Velo , I managed to get some lube into the BB and nip up the bit of play so its good for a wee while yet. It doesn't do a lot of miles these days.

Well today I had to go to town for some shopping and so the Big Dummy was put into cargo hauling duties.
There had been a few showers about was looking good for a while with the darker clouds hanging out over the sea. The wind from the west certainly made it slow going into town as I slogged mile after mile directly into it, but I just thought of how nice it might be riding home if it kept up.
There were still a few cars travelling about and I am sure I got a few intentionally close passes by a couple of right ar**wipes, but still they didn't spoil my ride.
I seen someone I knew across the parkway when I came into town and they shouted that they hoped I wasn't going to the co op as there was a two hour line waiting to get in!
I was luckily heading for Lidl and thankfully was pretty quiet and after parking up and getting my bags I was in and out pretty quickly, managing to get everything on my list and a couple of other items, so not bad at all. I can't imagine the co op being that bad as it's only a small town. Anyway I was fully loaded with everything from 4 kilos of dog feed to cat feed to Easter Eggs and everything inbetween. So with a bit of juggling with packing everything was balanced and after a quick stop at the Bike Shop to pick up a couple of cables I was thankfully back out town and headed home.
I was grateful to have the benefit of the tailwind but it was a nice warm ride regardless as it must be the first time in short sleeves this year.
Was soon home and sitting out the back unpacking the bike and disinfecting me, the bike and every piece and bag of shopping before it could go near the house.
The Big Dummy was a blast as usual and was good to have it back doing a semblance of what it was meant for. As Caleb is not on it now I do wonder whether to sell it, keep it, put an electric Bafang motor on it, or just keep it as it is nice to ride.
I swapped out the saddle for my B66 Brooks the other week and this was the first decent run with it and it was so much more comfortable and needed no adjustment after my original setup on a short ride, so that was cool not having to stop and fiddle round with the seat.
So that was my exercise and shopping essentials in one, hope the rest of you guys are alright and you and your families are staying safe and healthy.

Jamie

The view from across the road from our Lidl, loaded and heading back through town to head home.
IMG_2700 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back through town
IMG_2701 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Glad to be leaving it behind ;)
IMG_2703 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2707 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back