Show us what you did today, thread

Sold the anthem just afore xmas to make room lol.

Shona also riding bike now soholidays gonna be a bit different as she'll hopefully be able to do longer runs.

keithyr":3gss5g61 said:
Shona also riding bike now soholidays gonna be a bit different as she'll hopefully be able to do longer runs.

Hope her first aid is up to date. She'll need it to sort you out after you fa aff...... again...

Santa was definitely good to you mate!
Think he got the wrong house myself :)

Looks pretty flash and modern for my simple tastes but does look like a great ride. Some may say intense ;)
(I'm on a roll today! )

Wishing you many happy miles and years of fun with it, nothing beats a Christmas bike.

Jamie

Out today for a while on the Trucker, just to get the legs spinning more than anything. A bit of a zigzag route through the local area. I had to meet someone at their place at 1 so thought a bit of a ride first and then a longer ride home maybe. The weather while cold and raining this morning was looking better and had decent patches of blue sky. geared up for it as it was only about 1 or 2 degree but the wind was a very cold and very strong blast from directly north. Baltic, literally :)
It was a good ride out tacking into the wind when I could and while not raining it was still on very wet roads, thankfully the Trucker has guards :)
I was only about 1/2 a kilometre from where I was meant to get to when the appearance of road closed signs took me by surprise. I thought I might sneak through as it was a very quiet singletrack backroad and nobody would be doing roadworks today, but unfortunately it was at a local house that was destroyed by fire last Thursday evening and the road was completely shut with a fence across it. I took about a mile shortcut along a farm track past one of the private wind turbines just down the road. It was muddy from the side I came from but from the turbine to the main road was good gravel, I also had a huge tailwind so could get going on the gravel. sadly I then had a really long ride straight back into the wind, full head on, just had to dig in and keep rolling.
Just before I left to head home it started alternating sleeting and raining, so after waiting for a lull, I thought I would head towards home and see if it cleared at all allowing a few alternative routes to be taken. After a huge downpour within about 500metres I looked back to see Hoy and Orkney disappearing into the encroaching gloom, to cheer myself I took a picture in the opposite direction to show it looked better towards home. I really only noticed how cold the wind was when I stopped for the pic and a friend came along in his van and after a minute or two of talking I felt my face was frozen and I couldn't talk properly. And so it was off home as quick as I could as the rain started heavily and it didn't look like it was going to get better anytime soon.
It was a good ride to start the year off. While it was a bit cold on the toes and face when stopped, it was otherwise nice to be out as the weather up here has been gale force winds with rain and sleet.
Hope all the macretros and families had a great New Year and wishing everyone a safe and happy 2017.

Jamie

This looks fairly calm but that thing was fair turning and was making some noise along with it.
DSCN3207 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3210 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Today, nothing, just self-medicating with Bavaria's finest ales :LOL:
On Saturday I went for a ride in sone local woods, on a trail I've ridden a few times before, this time it was very wet and Muddy though.
A narrow singletrack through the woods. Handlebars clipped a tree, which sent me off course towards a bigger tree :shock: in avoiding that tree I somehow clipped another tree with my left shoulder :x I say "clipped", it near enough knocked me off the bike :LOL:
Thought I might have done myself some real damage at first but looks like it's just bruising.
Later the same ride the bike slid out from under me in the mud and I landed on my arse, heard my back and neck go "crrrackkk!", it was better than any chiropractor, my neck and back has never felt better! :LOL:

The Trail God giveth with one hand, and taketh away with the other :LOL:

Attachments

• 20170102_185948_001-600x1067.jpg
    20170102_185948_001-600x1067.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 352
I would say lucky mate, in that it wasn't worse and also if it helped your neck and back, just remember it's a fine line :)
Sounds like you were pinballing through the forest :)
Hopefully a couple of days and the shoulder will be fine.

Jamie

Out today with my wingman Caleb. Weapon of choice was the Big Dummy (the bike, not me)
Out after lunch and the plan was to head towards John O'Groats on the top road and then east and a circular route to groats, meet Heather for a coffee and cake, then head back on a direct route and hopefully get in before dark. It was cold up here, maybe 2 or 3 degree and just a slight breeze, but it was cloudy and the breeze was cold. We set off and within about 1 kilometre we were stopped as there was a whistle type sound, only faint coming from either the front or rear tyre. Soon worked out it was only when we were moving but we could both hear it. Eventually traced it to a zip tie on the top rail touching the tyre :facepalm:
Back on the road and we slowly meandered along stopping now and again to look at anything that took the little mans interest. We stopped near Canisbay to let a car past as it's all single track road and as we stopped in the layby there was a metallic sound at the back and we both looked down to see the jockey wheel and cage from the Surly tensioner drop onto the road and fall apart :shock: Thankfully the bolt that holds it on was still on there so it was a case of taking my gloves off and putting it back on and then nipping it up with the allen key. It was something that missed my strip down and put back together, I am sure the guy who put it together never really rode it with the fat wheels and alfine as nothing was done up, setup or sorted, hence the strip down of most things.
Anyway, once back on the road and running smoothly, the weather had clouded over a bit more and the wind had picked up a bit, it had certainly cooled down a bit but I was sweating away so didn't notice too much and then Caleb said just as we got to Groats that his feet were frozen. He got of the bike and was really cold so we went into the café and he sat in front of the fire and he instantly looked frozen, his eyes went puffy and he was shivering. He said he was OK just cold but he looked very cold.
After a hot chocolate and a brownie he made the wise decision to go home with mum. I told him not too worry as dad could struggle home lonely and cold with no one to watch his back now that it was nearly dark, but not to worry, you just head inside with the sheilas. Only kidding, it was a relief really as he looked so frozen, he's only six so two hours out in the cold is long enough as don't want him to end up ill. This meant it was lights on for me and I could head down to the harbour and the shore before heading back home. A slight headwind for a part of the ride but this was compensated for with a beautiful sunset that I just couldn't get a picture of.
Anyway it was a good few hours out and while not too exciting riding it is always good to ride with the little man and the BD is a solid workout. Definitely building my new wheels by the end of February as running Fat on tarmac is extremely hard work, so it's back to 40mm rims and 2.5 tyres. No way we are heading back to Orkney in April on the fat wheels.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend whatever they are doing and hopefully get another ride tomorrow.

Jamie

DSCN3216 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3219 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3226 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3227 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3233 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3244 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3245 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Out this afternoon on the LHT, it's come to be my go to winter randonneur frame, bags, lights, mudguards etc.
The afternoon, while cold, was definitely a bit nicer than yesterdays, by far. Though it was cold enough as the rain from last night was still sitting on most of the roads, the dirt or gravel sections of the ride being the most well drained. A bit of a ride for the sake of it as direction was determined on the approach to the junction :) .
Another nice ride and home just before dark.

Jamie

DSCN3251 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3252 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Low winter sun
DSCN3258 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Once more to the sea on the way home. Race the light.
DSCN3267 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Moon up and light going
DSCN3268 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Went to have a look at the bike in the photo below.
It's an Orange Mr "O".
Anyone know anything about them? (I'm not that knowledgeable on downhill type stuff).

Said I'd go back and collect it tomorrow as it's got some decent bits on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170114-200548-800x710.jpg
    Screenshot_20170114-200548-800x710.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 207

Latest posts

Back