Scott Pro Only MTB

weastman

Dirt Disciple
New to the forum so thought I had better introduce myself.
I have ridden road bikes for a few years now and messed about on MTB as a teenager but not owned anything specifically MTB for ~15years.

In recent years I have become irritated with the impracticality of ridding my road bike to the pub or into town and the horrible feeling of leaving something locked up outside that looks very expensive (even if due to canny 2nd hand purchases it really isn't).

Que hunting out something cheap as a run-around that I don't care about, doesn't draw the eye of thieves when locked up and that doesn't break the bank. Or so I thought. Instead the discovery of this forum has lead me to become infatuated with all things retro MTB, therefore the don't care about bit has gone a little out of the window, hopefully I can cling onto the can be locked up and doesn't break the bank bits.

So.... I have just bought this Scott Pro Only MTB from Facebook Marketplace for £50.
I plan to strip it down and get it running with a few mandatory changes; pedals, saddle and maybe grips (what's on the bike currently makes me feel sick).
I may then pursue tailoring it a little to my needs as required; basket for practicality, different bars for comfort. (que purists shaking heads).

Anyway any information on the bike would be much appreciated I know very little of what I have got here.
Also I am new to this so any comments on things to look out for/mods to do/not do also welcome.

Will take some better photos and get them uploaded when I get a chance (pre-resto condition).

I may then pursue tailoring it a little to my needs as required; basket for practicality, different bars for comfort. (que purists shaking heads)
I wouldn't worry too much about the purists. Those changes indicate that you'll probably ride yours a lot more than they ride theirs. At the end of the day that's the purpose of a bike, to be ridden.

As for comfort, I'd start by rotating the current bars about 90°. They're supposed to bend to the rear, not upwards. That alone will make a world of difference. If you decide to go for riser bars, you may want to get a shorter stem. Long stems and riser bars make for awkward riding positions (I made that mistake a long time ago)

Welcome to Retrobike.

Thank you very much. Yes had wondered about putting a shorter stem on it. How would you recommend doing that? Should I go for a quill stem adapter so I can put a more modern stem on or are there a good range of different length/angle quill stems?

@Origamist Thanks, yeh I thought it was quite a good deal. Although the rear wheel and bottom bracket were pretty loose and rattily and the whole thing was filthy, covered in thick grease. The bike is now broken down to individual components for a thorough clean. Will put some pictures up once everythings a little cleaner.
This is the tubing, not sure if this is deemed to be good tubing or not?

Yes, most acceptable indeed! Not mega light or thin, but good. Nice, cool bike. That would turn my head in the street! Post more pics when it's not filthy and back together.

Right here are a few before photos showing the woeful condition as purchased. Photos taken in low light so apologies for poor quality.

And now for some after, parts have all cleaned up pretty nicely after being dowsed with copious amounts of WD40.
All parts look ok other than:
- The chainrings (particularly the mid) looks a little worn so welcome to advice on this, ok/nok?
- The bottom bracket bearing balls and cups are worn so new one on order
- Pedals are cheap/nasty with shot bearings so will be replaced, advice on good pedals that wont break that bank welcome.

Amazing what good ol' spit and polish can do! That chanring doesn't look bad from here - the odd 'worn-down' teeth are like that to help shifting onto another ring. I'd re-use the rings and cassette and see how you get on before spending money.

Latest posts

Back