School Boy Error

are you any where near chipping norton or oxford? i've got an old saracen d-tox suspension frame and forks lurking beside the shed awaiting a trip to the great landfill site in the sky... perfectly usable after a bit of TLC

jim

As ti happens im not far from Chipping Norton but was look for something built in Warwick. I think by them time they got to making yours production had gone to Taiwan. Thanks for the offer though.

pity its finished
look at it this way , it kept you busy for a few hours , a bit of fun
which after all is why we do this nonsense

gerryattrick said:
Love this thread. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It sums up what's happened to me several times when my heart has over-ruled my head about an old bike. :oops: :oops: :oops:

But that's what retrobiking is about, to me at least, and do you know what - I still haven't learned the lesson.

+1

Hey, no smugness here, I'm actually sorry it didn't wrk out. Everyone loves an underdog!

My posts were from my experience. I don't think I have had a single frame that looked quite as tired as that one, but I have had plenty of frames pass by me that featured one or another of the symptoms your bike exhibits. Some were fixable (although in the long run not worth it) and others were simply dead ends after hours of sweat blood and tears. From all this I have developed a line in the sand. That said even when it hasn't been worth it in the longterm, it is fantastic to take a win over a problem!

As I have maintained throughout I agree with all of you regarding the heart of head factor.

I know it wasnt a great bike when it was new and it is far worse now but it wasnt like it was an Apollo or anything and once again for me, for what I needed, to be able to pop down the shops on reasonable quality, shiney painted, stainless spoked no nonsense bike that i didnt have to worry about locking up was worth a lot to me.

Ive just had another go at getting the BB out, still wont budge. Oh well, 'spose I better get back to trying to replicate grey zolatone for my Pine Mountain, my first proper bike and I still have it. No ones going to tell me not to bother fixing that one up, but then I wont be leaving that unlocked outside the supermarket when its done.

Mikee, Is that the one that was at Pitlochry, id have thought youd have had to prize it from your mates hands before he gave it back? From the pics ive seen its gorgeous.

Ben, That looks really good, who did the powdercoat?

Its a real pity you cant get zolatone over here, I was considering a two week holiday in the states if only to get some Yanky spray shop to recreate zolatone for me. Failing that im considering using that frozen grey BMW colour. I dont reckon itll look quite so shiney on the narrower profile of a bike frame.

Attachments

• Frozen grey.jpg
    Frozen grey.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 842
Back