School Boy Error

fluroforks":2x7ixdre said:
Which bit do you think should unscrew, ill go out there and investigate immediately?

Doesn't the bit between where it's snapped and the plate with the 3 holes in have spanner flats on it so that the boss can unscrew ?

Weld a nut onto the end and carefully unscrew it (should work as long as the canti studs are screw ones, usually they are I think.

its rusty alright - im hoping a shot blast and powder coat will sort it out but I have no experience of this what so ever so any thoughts gratefuly received and considered. The worst of the rust is around the bottom bracket and chainstay area.

Never knew that they screwed in, ill have to get my pal to sort that weld out if there are any problems with jamas forks.

I rescued this from a skip. Its no kili but I took a shine to it as soon as I saw it. Tange infinity tubes, was sporting a lovely Altus C10 group but I now have an LX of a badly damaged rufftrax to replace that.

Always wanted something from the Saracen stable purely because I grew up less that a mile from the factory, I hope this becomes my daily ride soon.

Attachments

• Saracen rebuild 001.JPG
    Saracen rebuild 001.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 2,021
  • Saracen rebuild 017.JPG
    Saracen rebuild 017.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,021
wow thats a rusty bike :shock: :shock:

i would get the frame shot blasted before spending any money and see if any of that rust has gone through

personally i wouldnt risk it myself but i am a heavy weight so allways play it safe

Shoot me down in flames if you wish but I wouldn't bother with that bike. Looks too low end to bother with the expense of a shot blast and if you then powder coated it, the new added powder would be the most valuable part of it.

A bit of time & luck on ebay will net you a better starting point, probably for less than the cost of the shot blast.

Jerky, I agree it is low end but for what I want day to day that suits me. Also its British and locally built so all the more appealing to me.

Certainly I would shot blast the worst of it and see how it came out before throwing any more money at it but I have every anticipation that it wont be saveable. At the moment im 50 quid up on parts off the donor bike so right now thats what id be willing to spend on attempting to rescue this one. Also I agree that there may be a better starting point on here or evilbay but by the time the auction gets won and its been posted id be back up to the fifty quid mark all over again.

fluroforks":3ks775ep said:
Jerky, I agree it is low end but for what I want day to day that suits me. Also its British and locally built so all the more appealing to me.

Certainly I would shot blast the worst of it and see how it came out before throwing any more money at it but I have every anticipation that it wont be saveable. At the moment im 50 quid up on parts off the donor bike so right now thats what id be willing to spend on attempting to rescue this one. Also I agree that there may be a better starting point on here or evilbay but by the time the auction gets won and its been posted id be back up to the fifty quid mark all over again.
Personally, I say look into it.

I'm all for restorations - even if the frames aren't great - after all, there's a difference between mid range or even entry level fodder, to what was effectively BSO / gas tubed bikes of old.

Seeing the revival of some bikes in very lowly conditions, here, has been most interesting, personally.

Back