School Boy Error

I love a good restoration, but once you have put in all the finances and costs of restoring that you would of been able to buy a pretty good condition Saracen of a much higher specification.

The powder coat alone will cost you there and abouts your entire budget. then you need to resolve the fork issue to resolve (maybe not a problem as they are not all that uncommon and relatively cheap). Does the seat post move or is it seized? Components are likely to need some time and or money spent on them.

The only way to do this restoration is as a labour of love, technically & financially it is bordering on madness in my opinion.

Low range stuff needs love too, but there are plenty of better examples out there. (please point out if I am wrong and this is a one of a kind or the last remaining of its type, in which case...sure it may be worth some effort)

Yes and yes again. Restoration/Renovation would always be my preferred method - buying something out of the box is the easier and cheaper method but never has the ride with pride factor of something that YOU gave a new lease of life to. You cant put a price on that.

Also, assuming this frame is salvageable, im going to end up with what is basically a brand new bike, new chainset, new paint, new cables the lot. Being as I cant choose anything out of the range of vulgar impersonal tat that seems to be on offer these days for less than what I might be able to rescue this one for points toward getting stuck into this, although I whole heartedly agree that on paper buying either new or functioning is the better option.

i would scrap it,the rust on the chainstays looks way more than surface corrosion,i bet there is very little steel left after blasting.as said before,you could pick up a far better base to start a project from for very little on here,loads of saracens around :)

My concern isnt simply in the cost of the restoration (I wouldn't do it but I appreciate others that have done fantastic jobs on similar level frames) But it is worth saving at all.

That rust does look bad, if it were a Fat with a rusted through seatube (common issue on them) then yes it may be worth restoring, which would involve getting a new seat tube welded in. A low end Saracen with a rotted through rear triangle, it wouldn't be worth it.

I have sadly passed on better condition frames than that simply due to seriously seized seat posts. (either as kama on here or sadly a number were skipped) Have you tried moving the seatpost? or the BB? you may just find it is too much work, leaving aside the cost of required parts and frame renovation.

I am not saying buy new or even functioning, rather buy something that is savable.

I would have to agree with the replies above. I am all for recycling the bottom end of the range bikes - I just love to see any bike rescued. But that looks really bad, that's been rusting for many years quite badly to get it to that state. If you can get the blasters to assess it and maybe give a quick free test of the worst area (before they do the whole lot) it might be worthwhile.
But look what you can get if you look hard enough. I'm new to this retrobike thing and finding cheap bikes but with minimal effort I got this Trek 850, near mint condition with only brakes to adjust for £30:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1065346&highlight=#1065346

And my Tequesta was only £40 too, although this needed more cash spending on it. Bought for frame anyway.

I may have to conceed defeat just because of the court of public opinion, in a funny way im glad I sheared that boss off if only to start this debate.

Clearly if new tubes have to be grafted in then it goes to the bin. If the BB wont come out then itll go also. The seatpost is already free. Incidentally all the tubes still "ring" when struck.

Later, tonight hopefully, ill try to get the BB out and take it to the blasters. Only for a test area, mind, im not that mad.

Also, I do take on board that I can buy a better standard project base but that honestly isnt what I want. I have a 531 tubed Peugeot frame in the garage, but it's a Peugeot. I could just put a pair of slick tyres and some big chain rings on my Pace but id be forever looking out of the window checking it was still there. For my requirements this is all I need and it fills the slot on the bike rack reserved for a Saracen and as yet I havent had to pay anything for it. I do know when to conceed defeat but I just dont think all avenues have been exhausted yet.

You all have permission to feel smug. Its dead.

BB did budge, then didnt, then did a bit, then didnt at all. Took a lot of MAPP gas and still wont move, and I really did try just coz you lot told me not too!!!!!!

Defeat Conceeded. :cry:

no smugness on my part fella

im just glad you found out now before riding down the road and have a seat stay snap due to excessive corrosion causing a horrible mess to your man area ;)

Rob

Thanks for your support and to those who told me to stop trying also, I would have saved about three quids worth of gas if I had listened, and I wouldnt have a big blister on my elbow from burning myself.

That means I now have 47 pounds and a used plaster covered in savlon to spend on UK assembled Saracen frame. Any offers?

Love this thread. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It sums up what's happened to me several times when my heart has over-ruled my head about an old bike. :oops: :oops: :oops:

But that's what retrobiking is about, to me at least, and do you know what - I still haven't learned the lesson, there's that MF Courier Mega and the Raleigh Montage plus a box of parts in the shed just waiting. ;) ;) ;)

Back