Sbike Build - 806 / 808 - is this a 28"Frame ??

Does anyone own or has seen a 28" Sbike Frame
Trying to find some info on this frame before I start the Rebuild.
Nothing found on the Internet.....

Hi kvs766

Thanks for the photo I have a SBIKE 700c and it fits 26" wheels although it does need a U brake on the back
All of the 700c Frames I have seen have had 26"wheels so not sure why it was called the 700c?
Decided to now go on with the build with 28"Wheels and see how it turns out ....

Re:

Never seen or heard of a 28" Sbike before.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a regular frame that simply has the brake mounts welded on in a different position than normal.
Do me a favor and measure the chainstay length (center of BB to rear axle).
On some speclists, the 80x models have a claimed 425mm, on others they are said to be 406mm. If it's longer than 425, it's certainly a 28" frame, otherwise it may be a customized 26".

chstay_lngth_meas.jpg

Only thing I'm sure of is my own 503, and that's 406mm. then again it's a steel frame. Anyone else with an 80x want to measure theirs so we can compare Woody's with yours?

Re:

Hi raging_Bulls

Just measured and center of quick release to center of BB is 44 cm
Also checked my 2 Daytona and they are both 40 cm....
So it could be a custom 28" build..?
So i still do not have a frame for my Alu fork :facepalm: this search is nearly 3 years long now ....
Now need to decide if to build it up or not......

Re:

44 ? :shock:

That's not just a modified MTB frame, that was built from the ground up to be a 28" bike.

It's in none of the catalogues, I have downloaded all the catalogues I could find in the last 4 years and checked them all just now.
It's not in the Sbike Speedbook either. There's only 1 model with 28" wheels in there and that's a classic double diamond frame.
What you have there could be a one-off. There's not a shred of info to indicate its existence, yet here it is.

This is the third time in 4 years that I come across a frame that defies both the catalogs and the rest of the model range. (the Ti Sbike, my full suspension frame, now this one)
The only explanation I can think of, is that these things were built just to test the idea and then never made it into production. However that's just my guess.

Does it have a frame number? First place to look with those frames is the bottom of the main tube, somewhere inside the BB triangle. If not, it'll be the usual place at the bottom of the BB shell.

As for what to do with it : seeing as it's 28", personally I'd get a nice 28" cantilever-equipped fork that suits the frame's lines and build it as a full-on road bike, drop bars and everything.

Hi

Just checked the frame number and it is :12026
Not much helpfull info regarding date of production etc unless it means 12th Febuary 1996 ??

The guy I bought the bike off was selling it as a "Verlicchi Alu Frame" but when i asked if it was a SBIKE frame he said yes it was and it was an Sbike Verlicchi Alu frame ?
Did Verlicchi make the Sbike Frames ? can not find much info on the Internet

But I do like the idea of puting drop bars on it ...
Pretty tight with time and bike funds at the moment but I might just build it back up with the parts I have (including polishing up the Sbike Stem )and see how it rides...

Re:

The presence of a frame number indicates that they made several of those, so it's not a one-off. The prototypes had no serial number.
TBH I should have noticed that it was a production frame. The welding on your frame is clean and straight, whereas the prototypes are very rough.

Verlicchi is a frame manufacturer, a pioneer when it comes to aluminium motorcycle frames. They did indeed make all the production alu Sbike frames.
12026 is no indication of date, it's simply the 12026th Sbike frame they made there.

My 728 was 05421 IIRC, my broken 828 is 08037. Both were 1992 models, but according to an interview in a Dutch magazine in early 1993, Fabio Cavalli (Sbike's CEO) said that they made 15.000 alu frames in 1992. If that info is correct, your frame number indicates that yours must be a 1992 too.

Bike is finally stripped down and a new build thread will be created shortly...
Fitting a Pace carbon fork to frame to keep it nice and light...
Have loads of semi modern components so will use these to build up this frame ,,,,

Back