WTB Phonenix

Rog

Retro Guru
Thought I’d start a build thread on this one! It’s been a long, slow, painful process but it will be worth the wait…..as I read these are one of the best riding bikes from the 90s.

I picked up this size 15 suspension corrected frame in feb last year. Luckily it come with some type two forks which where made by Steve back in 2006. They come with complications of course as nothing in the retro bike game is ever straightforward…. The pervious own wasn’t sure if he was going to ride canti or disc so he had a disc mount added by Steve. Of course this is a real eye saw and bugged me from the get go, so I had Mr Dan Chambers @danson67 remove the disc mount and make the forks threaded.

Lucky for me and my wallet the frame is the canti version and non rollercam…..so it should be a pretty easy build. The frame is from 1994 so I’ll be going down the M900 route with a splash of WTB parts.

Here are the forks before

76f4a0cd-0165-4904-8215-39fd65c3ec7d.jpeg
73cf8aaf-e856-4168-b48e-66966f175b69.jpeg

And here are the forks which I received back from Dan a few weeks back. (Cheers Dan)

29f2b468-43e2-4f06-9f42-2d335365e0a6.jpeg
6561e263-85c8-4f3f-8bed-5d3d49e62c3f.jpeg

Oooohh! A Phoenix is at the top of my "will probably never happen but I can dream" list. Signing in for updates. Will look forward to seeing it come together. :)

Reactions: Rog
The next difficult piece of the puzzle was to find was the stem, I already had a WTB threadless stem (perfect for when the forks where threadless!) but I got the forks made to threaded…….soooo that was the end of that story! The hunt started for another stem! After a few messages to some good folks (you don’t ask you don’t get). This finally landed in January after a 5 month search!

IMG_1547.jpeg

a massive thanks to @wtb_rider who came to the rescue.

Next up was the WTB titanium flat bar.
My Italian brother come to the rescue with these.

First pair are the FMC (620mm wide) with a very nice sweep & paragon machine works shim & the second pair made by none other than mr Steve Potts himself.

I’m leaning towards the FMC bars are they are slightly wider and I orders some Controltech bar extenders which will give me another 40mm 😃

IMG_0354.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back