Saracen Race Elite build.

A race :LOL: I am not fit enough :LOL:

I believe the weight of the original Kili racer was approx 28lb. This being the race elite would have been a touch heavier maybe. My one now weighs just under 28lb and I reckon fitted with some decent tyres i could get it down toward 27lb. Not to mention the saddle that weighs real heavy. The crappy contis I have fitted now are extremely heavy. So in a nutshell not the lightest of bikes but I feel it pales into insignificance when I am riding it. :D

Early Saracens were not know for being light. My '91 Traverse e-stay frame weighs in at 2.85kg :shock: so more or less the same as yours.

We'll need a Saracen meet in the new year :cool:

I'm just curious on wieght as I'm building a cro mega at the moment and that is built like a tank as well (e stay) so would be good for a comparative.

Need to get me a saracen soon me thinks.

Estay design usually means heavier.

I remember my what was basically a traverse elite 92 being approx 27lb. This was xt equipped.

I have what looks to be a nos 93 saracen frame. This weighs in at 2.25lb and is getting somewhere near respectable. Not decided what i am going to do with it yet tho.

Finally finished.. The seat post arrived a couple of days ago.

It now has what I think the original tyres were - zmax megabites...
I sourced a hg70 cassette and had to use 1mm spacer to get it to fit to the old style free hub body. I also took a risk on a un72e bottom bracket (68mm x 122.5) and found it to work very well. I even found the time to wash n wax and mildly polish the crank :D

finalraceelite124.jpg

finalraceelite1004-1.jpg

finalraceelite1055.jpg

finalraceelite1119.jpg

:D cheers.. I tried some biscuit coloured psychos that looked awful so I was very happy to get hold of the ritchey tyres. It finally looks correct in my mind so on to the next project ;)

Fantastic!
What a great result, it looks superb.
As said before those Ritchey tyres are the icing on the cake! Where did you find a set?
Excellent first build :cool:

Latest posts

Back