Saracen Race Elite build.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have done a bit of research about the original spec of this bike. With information gained on the Saracen thread and from this thread:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408&sid=279b97556fd254c24d71ff3957bf679e

Looks like the only difference in spec between the bikes is the forks. The ones on the bike in the link being taken from the more expensive kili 92s.
Basically I have no doubt that the seat post I extracted was the original one Saracen fitted. The exact same Kalloy one used on my 92 traverse. Seems that they (Saracen) used shiny seat posts and grey/shiny zoom stem instead of the original black spec of the Kili racer 92.

The post has a dia of 30.2mm and the ritchey one you linked would be very nice in this size. The thing is I don't know what to do yet. I want to get the bike together and look at it. I have a feeling black post, stem and bars will be the way to go. Hell I could even put black crank arms found on some of the lx 93 kit. I could very well end up going over board on black and the addition of a nice shiny seat post could be a welcome one.

mines the same colour as yours and I'll be fitting black LX as and when I can get my hands on it.

I havent settled on a stem for mine yet

saracen_sahara_elite_redux_243.jpg

could have been next to each other on the assembly line!

''...ere! Trev! Got any o them funny lookin' e-stay frames left?''

forumsaracen.jpg

saracen_sahara_elite_165.jpg

Thats very nice and will suit your plans for black lx. I am liking the forks very much!

I found some nos black cantis on flea bay for 20 quid + 4 delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310149379850&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Some one is selling these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350281423472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and I am sure there are some used black arms on here.

Me - I have spent enough at moment and will get an idea of what looks good when it's all together.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I like it - "er baz sling us a couple of them old 92 red kilis and see what we can do with em" :LOL:

Easy_Rider":2so7nytp said:
Nice work and a good read.

I'll look forward to seeing this built up.

Shouldn't be too much longer now. Got brake levers and cantis. Also got saddle and some nice black onza alloy bar ends. I now await the rest of the stuff.

I put the bottom bracket in and forgot to weigh the frame beforehand. I still did it with bracket in just to see how heavy or featherweight these state of the art steel frames are ;) ;) Go easy it is a Saracen at the end of the day. :LOL:

6lb10oz (3kg) :LOL:

saracen005.jpg

saracen022.jpg

I put together what I could. The tyres are some very average modern ones and will suffice for the winter months. Although I kind of like black wall tyres on the black wheels.

saracen088.jpg

saracen055.jpg

saracen075.jpg

saracen080.jpg

Nearly done now :D

Personally I really like the white cabling but feel I need to change handle bars/stem and seat post to black to get it looking best. The seat post is ruff any how and I have spied some ritchey handlebars in black with white decals. A black ritchey/zoom quill stem I need too.

Work in progress... :)

saracen-race4.jpg

saracen-race5.jpg

saracen-race1.jpg

saracen-race2.jpg

saracen-race3.jpg

That's looking pretty good :cool:

How to you find the armchair (Saracen saddle)? I've been trying to restore the colour i mine with medium success...

Back