Rock Lobster 853, FINISHED !

Re:

Hi retrofolk ;)

Despite being Mrs Muz's birthday today, I managed a whole afternoon of tinkering! :cool:

As the SID forks are in the lbs, I thought I'd put some temporary ones in, so I can start building it back up.

So in went the P2 forks I have, so I could start fitting bits on. After a while, I warmed to the look of the bike as it was taking shape, so decided to leave them in. I did get a bit carried away with building it up, and all I have to do now is cable it up and try it out!

Here we are, hope you like it so far ;)

IMG_0508 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Seatpost, courtesy of Carl, was the one he had when it was his bike! Seemed appropriate. Polished up really nicely too. Thought I'd use the saddle it came with, it's in good condition, so why not. See how my rump copes with it. Also, the Bonty grips stayed with the bike. Along with the V-Brakes, wheels and rear mech

IMG_0510 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_0511 by Michael Murray, on Flickr
Decided on an XT front mech, which just cleared the bottom cage bolt, phew!

Such a lovely colour, just a shame it was so ropey. Looking a bit better now , I think.

Mike

Re: Rock Lobster 853, GOES RIGID ! !

Black post would balance it up. Lovely otherwise. Really like that. Leave sids off.

What steerer length?

Re:

Thanks mister ;)

Not sure what the steerer length is matey.

I think a black post would be too much black.

The Tioga Alchemy headset may not last long, as it's pitted in the lower cup. Butit will do for now. The original one was toast.

I could go for the wider o/s bars/stem combo, as per my last post. But this looks ok I think

Mike

Silver stem then. Got an old school kore light here.

Re:

I do have a silver Force Lite I could use. I think small diameter stem would look best, so to speak.

Chunky stems on alloy bikes looks right, but not on small diameter steel.

May be interested in it though, for my next project. :facepalm:

Mike

Re:

I think it looks much better with those rigid forks on, paint is a nice colour and doesn't look too bad from the pics tbh. You obviously did a good job of cleaning it up.

Re:

Cheers Jimo!

You must have a sixth sense, I was cabling it up when you posted!

Decided on the wide bars, they look great on it. Plus, if I decide to go back to the shorter ones, the cables won't be too short!

Just cable ends and steerer to tart up now. The stem has a hole either side, showing the steerer tube. For some reason, this is half bare metal and half black. So I'll paint that. Commuting on it in the morning, can't wait! :cool:

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2erwzf18 said:
A few photos of the bike now, just needs cable ends and the steerer taken back to metal, where the stem sits. Hope you like it folks ;)

WP_20160901_07_00_22_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Mike

:shock: looks like you've dug yourself in trying to get out of the loose stuff :D

Its looking nice with rigids on :cool:

Mark

out of interest Mike, which lbs did you take the SIDS to for servicing?

Back