Riding position/braking reach and comfort with drop bars on a Raleigh clubman help

I was going to suggest what Woz came up with. If you don't want to change the bar and stem, this is the easiest way to be able to reach the brakes.
41tZtQK4UHS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I agree with Woz that a shorter, higher stem may not be enough, if the reach is too far and you are already working with a short stem. You'll become more upright but the reach on the brake levers will remain. I would leave the stem and shift the brake levers up the bars towards you. See this pic, they are much higher. Handlebar here is a Nitto noodle, they have a little less reach and the ramp, the part that sticks out towards the brake lever can be mounted so it is level, whereas yours is a deep drop. It will make it much easier to reach the levers. If I were to replace anything it would be this. It still looks classic.
hb1-5_1445x.jpg

Old aero and non aero brake levers like yours are ergonomically primitive and hard to operate. Moving them up is about the only remedy.

Easy

Just ditch the drops and go with flat bars.

Or if you are a kinky fella

bastardise it with inverted Nitto north roads and run flat bar levers. It will be the ultimate **** you to period correctness and purist aesthetics

You're welcome

Screenshot_20230207_164349.jpg

I'm not sorry.

Back