Riding position/braking reach and comfort with drop bars on a Raleigh clubman help

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Needed some help with the handlebars and stem on my Raleigh Clubman
I find the riding position uncomfortable with the drop bars it has - especially when trying to use the brakes - I find myself reaching too far forward.
Looking at the bars and stem these seem a little racy - the upper part of the drop part of the bars is quite long and hence I find the brakes a bit far -
The stem has also a drop
Would changing the bars, stem and bar position be possible - but without spoiling the look of the bike ? Say with period correct parts ?
By the way this is a small size 21” bike and Im 5’7” sink guess correct size
Thanks

16025176-4F74-4437-8553-FAAB28114184.jpeg

Plenty of shallow drop curved bars (not ergo which look wrong) around. Also Cinelli Giro d'Italia (64-xx) are similarly fairly shallow and shortish reach.

Remember also that a taller stem has the effect of bringing the bars closer.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I had the same problem with my Raleigh Royal and changed the whole handlebar setup from drops to a riser stem and bars and the bike is now a joy to ride all day. I used Nitto bars and stem as they have a wide range of styles and are nice quality, I also fitted a Nitto seatpost to make a matching set.

IMG_1870 - Copy - Copy.JPG

That's the fella, fitted one to a friends bike last year he was riding around with his stem an inch or more above the safety line naughty boy... Do a search for Moustache bars, not everyone's cup of tea but I like them...
Thanks - I understand how people ride with modern ones which have the ugly levers but which are usually high up and easy to depress - but these take some reach and can’t really be pressed properly with hands on the hoods and just depressing the brake lever with fingers - need a good grip!

So the would the Nitto or Giro D’italia make a proper difference?
Those moustache bars look good on the Mercian though not as aesthetically pleasing as the full drop bars

I wish I could test the bars first somehow before going through the effort of buying then installing them.

I had the same problem with my Raleigh Royal and changed the whole handlebar setup from drops to a riser stem and bars and the bike is now a joy to ride all day. I used Nitto bars and stem as they have a wide range of styles and are nice quality, I also fitted a Nitto seatpost to make a matching set.

View attachment 704732
Thanks! I had considered this as I knew straight away that I would be a zillion times more comfortable like this but I bought my bike for sentimental reasons - I don’t ride it much and the drop bars are part of that look I guess.

Thanks - I understand how people ride with modern ones which have the ugly levers but which are usually high up and easy to depress - but these take some reach and can’t really be pressed properly with hands on the hoods and just depressing the brake lever with fingers - need a good grip!

So the would the Nitto or Giro D’italia make a proper difference?
Those moustache bars look good on the Mercian though not as aesthetically pleasing as the full drop bars

I wish I could test the bars first somehow before going through the effort of buying then installing them.
Unfortunately until they develop a VR bar tester it is good old trial and error... First things to try are rotate the bars slightly backwards see if that helps, then move the brake levers further up the bars as mentioned by @Guinessisgoodforyou then start looking at getting a higher rise stem and different bars.

Latest posts

Back