Rhetorical question

Marbo

Devout Dirtbag
What is the difference between a 1980's generic Raleigh 18-23 with basic shimano gears and a 531c with 600 Ultegra group set?

Forget the composition, ID, OD and wall thickness of the tubes, I'm talking about from a casual riders pov. I choose to ride an old steel bike for 3 reasons, the cost, simplicity and nostalgia.

I got my first bike after a 20 year break from cycling to get fit and raise some money for charity. It is an 80's Raleigh equipe, just like I had as a kid. My second was supposed to be for a raffle prize to raise money for a London to Paris ride next year. However when I saw an old "Aussie roadie" with 531c and ultegra group set for a silly price I couldn't resist. After riding it the Raleigh is now going to be my raffle prize.

I really didn't expect a huge difference in the ride. I have no complaints about the Raleigh, all I wanted was a comfortable ride. I'm not going to be racing so top notch parts didn't matter. But I have to say the difference between the 2 is unbelievable. The 531 is so much lighter, which really comes across on the road, gear changes are so much quicker and smoother. The biggest thing I noticed was my average speed on a 10m ride was nearly 2mph faster, with what seemed like no more effort. All this before I've done a full service.

So in short if you want to relive your youth on the bike you had as a kid go for it, low end steelies of the 80's are perfectly serviceable. However if you going to be doing more than a ride to the pub or work then you might want to search that bit harder to find something of a little higher quality, and probably for around the same price.

In need of a little tlc, but rides well

ndmsyv.jpg

2i7tpvm.jpg

iwiqzm.jpg

rsu49i.jpg

Latest posts

Back