Frame Flex - '86 Mercian

Skeg131

Dirt Disciple
As per title, I have a '86 Mercian (King of Mercia) with 531c tubing.

Its been my summer bike for the last 10 years. I've increasingly noticed that when standing on the pedals (up hill) and putting power down with my right leg, I get brake rub on the wheels. I've backed off the brakes but it's at a stage where the back brake is in effective, it won't even lock in the wet.

Could it be the wheels - yes. They're true but have been ridden for around 2k since last checked so probably due and could be some minor differences in spoke tension.

The frame had the odd bit of surface rust on it when I got it (about 12 years ago) and had been in a garage for a while but it went straight to Argos for a strip and repaint, I made clear to them it was for riding and they didn't find anything or raise concerns.

I know 531c is a lighter gauge and it's always been a 'whippy' ride but I do love it.

Have others had similar problems and retired frames due to it or will this likely be sorted once wheels have been trued?

I would give the frame a good check over but I would really be thinking the wheels if all else looks fine. Give them a tension and true and see if that solves it. I really like the ride of my Mercian and find it compliant but not whippy or loose in any way.
Best of luck with it.
Jamie

IMHO any well used frame can develop flex over a long period of time. It can depend a lot on how much power you put down .
What was it's previous life ? Was it yours from new.

Not mine from new, I've had it around 13 years, used properly for the last 10. Not sure what kind of life it had before me.

I did have the rear stays cold set (by Argos) around 10 years ago which I know can cause problems but have done thousands of miles since and generally it's been perfect.

I swapped wheels today for some with around 300 miles on and it is better but still doing it a bit. Am a bit surprised that the other wheels which seem perfectly true with no play could be flexing so much. Will get them seen to and take it from there.

I have a 531 Mercian Campionissimo (not for long, up for sale!) and I haven't noticed that, and I stand on those pedals pretty hard. I would have a really close look at the frame....

It's not the frame. To give an update - had the original wheels serviced but the issue was still there so took the bike back to my LBS and asked them to go over it explaining the issue again. They demonstrated the wheels were perfectly true but suggested they look at them again, putting as much tension as they were comfortable with in the spokes and now it's fine.

I know nothing about servicing wheels but hadn't realised your wheel can be perfectly true (which it was) and running well but still flex that much. I've thought a few times about a wheel building course, am more tempted now.

Back