Lightweight tubing (e.g. triple butted, competition etc) - is it more fragile?

regarding mtb tubes from japan or us or some reynolds . Tubes are not the same for roadbile and mtb , even if they are double or triple , mtb tube are reinforced vitus or reynolds with the same name for road or mtb if you check the tubing size , mtb tube have usually 0.2 to 0.3 thicker than road tubes. regarding brand , marin ,trek , commencal (not sunn very fragile) scott or giant those brands are bullet proof for mid range frame . Again just avoid alloy frame even if they are from those brands

regarding mtb tubes from japan or us or some reynolds . Tubes are not the same for roadbile and mtb , even if they are double or triple , mtb tube are reinforced vitus or reynolds with the same name for road or mtb if you check the tubing size , mtb tube have usually 0.2 to 0.3 thicker than road tubes. regarding brand , marin ,trek , commencal (not sunn very fragile) scott or giant those brands are bullet proof for mid range frame . Again just avoid alloy frame even if they are from those brands

not strictly true as before companies brought out MTB specific tubesets, builders used whatever was to hand be it road or BMX

er....I'm with the large cheese.

A motor simply puts in energy in exactly the way in which the frame was designed for.
I don't think this is a 'high end versus low end' question.
Higher end tubsets are strong. Very strong. And with huge care in the design, specification and fabrication.

Towing a trailer can indeed put specific stress where it usually is not applied under cycling load, but this can cause stress fractures in any frame.
If seat-tube attached accessories then this can cause stress fractures in seat tubes above the rear tube joint.

I have had fatigue failures in frame but only on low-spec frames.

A frame failure last week:

1688299711377.png

El gran queso is right (isn't he always:rolleyes:🤣)- As the old adage goes: Strong. Light. Cheap. Choose two... Getting a high end retro frame means you can get strong & light cheap! As long as it's not been seriously ragged or misused, which is usually fairly apparent, going for the most high-end retro frame makes sense. Just my two-pence worth...

Think we are missing the point a bit.....whilst i agree that a lightweight frame can be well built and strong for its designed use....that's not what the OP is going to do with it!

Last child seat for a top tube i fitted had a pair of "u" clamps holding it onto the top tube. An no point in the design process did anybody making a tange prestige frame consider that! Considering you can nip a frame with a front mech, a pair of u bolts done up tight enough to stop a child seat swivelling round would i guess risk seriously compromising such a thin tube.

And lgf is correct 501 has its uses.....

Latest posts

Back