Retrobike Official Site Suggestions Thread

Righty ho, to address some points.

1. Classified sections. This has been considered but again I don't wish to fragment things. I (and I suspect many others) like to quickly browse the for sale without having anything in mind particularly to buy . Would agree it might be convenient to be able to see only one type of part though, will give it some thought.

2. How much thread. This has been done to death before. There seem to be three type of people who want valuations
a)Newbies who've found a Raleigh Lizard in the shed and therefore think they've stuck retro gold and can retire to the Bahamas on the proceeds.
b) People who are genuinely unsure
c) People who are trying to get offers via PM.
Sadly person c) basically meant we needed the how much thread. Don't think we need a seperate forum. Further the price of used bike parts is so subjective the only true decider can be by searching the classifieds or ebay for sold items. There are no Arthur Negus of the retro world.

3. Search. The phpbb search ain't great. That's why I've added a google search too > http://retrobike.co.uk/search/ . again when time permits will roll this out accross the whole site.

4. PM Backup. Interesting, why this rather than savebox?

5. Gallery2 quotas. 2 MB is no joke when you see what the hosting costs. If you want more just ask.

6. wiki. Top idea!

Finally unless there is a pressing reason I'm unwilling to add more forums. Those sites I visit which are highly fragmented I find less than ideal. Better have fewer busier forums than one or two which get a post a month.

John":2yq1a0uq said:
2. How much thread. This has been done to death before. There seem to be three type of people who want valuations
a)Newbies who've found a Raleigh Lizard in the shed and therefore think they've stuck retro gold and can retire to the Bahamas on the proceeds.
Sadly person c) basically meant we needed the how much thread. Don't think we need a seperate forum. Further the price of used bike parts is so subjective the only true decider can be by searching the classifieds or ebay for sold items. There are no Arthur Negus of the retro world.

6. wiki. Top idea!

I take your point and agree with your diagnosis of the 3 types. However the single thread as it is at the moment may reduce person C's nefarious activity, it certainly doesnt stop it, only limits the potential.

Likewise person A still posts frequently.

Poor old genuine person B is left lost in the midst of all the junk produced by persons A & C.

Individual posts in a sub forum will allow people to sort the genuine from the racks of crap.

Any way I've said my bit, and respect the fact others opinions may differ and that your the boss.

JeRkY":3ius664f said:
John":3ius664f said:

6. wiki. Top idea!

I take your point and agree with your diagnosis of the 3 types. However the single thread as it is at the moment may reduce person C's nefarious activity, it certainly doesnt stop it, only limits the potential.

Likewise person A still posts frequently.

Poor old genuine person B is left lost in the midst of all the junk produced by persons A & C.

Individual posts in a sub forum will allow people to sort the genuine from the racks of crap.

Any way I've said my bit, and respect the fact others opinions may differ and that your the boss.

Would agree the single thread isn't ideal. However it seems the least bad way currently. A sub forum would simply be abused by person c) sadly. Will have to give it some further thought.

Regional / area / group specific section would be good, currently it is in the rides / meets section.

A button that shows me all the threads I have started as I never seem to be able to find my old "for sale" threads. :)

Or a search function that says "find all threads started by:..........."

John":3nkdwshg said:
Righty ho, to address some points.

1. Classified sections. This has been considered but again I don't wish to fragment things. I (and I suspect many others) like to quickly browse the for sale without having anything in mind particularly to buy . Would agree it might be convenient to be able to see only one type of part though, will give it some thought.
ows about a road classified section. sales/wants/swaps all in one section? I'm not that into MTBing and have given up trawling trying to guess if theres some raod stuff in those non-descriptive "Arfur Daley's shed clearance" threads.

barney if you click profile" then "find all posts by --- " that could be what your after

im quite happy , good suggestions and i can also see why you dont want to add certain things . ive seen sites heavily fragmented to the point where you look at a make of car , then the model , then the year , spec , certain engines and you end up with 2 threads :LOL:

maybe its worth keeping the " how much is this bike ive found at a car boot " thread short . trim it back to a handful of pages every month or 2 . keeps the estimates fairly accurate for the moment asked and people are more likely to keep an eye on it

i know of a few singlespeed sites and a few of them are very sparce as it is

area section is a good idea , i in no way guarantee it wont get full of spam :LOL:

ive always thought its a shame that so much good knowledge goes to waste on forums and it would be good to have a place where the decent info is kept for reference but theres always the space problem and its not like we pay for the place . but saying that ive seen a few sites go to paid membership with extra benefits for those that choose to pay but theres the possible divide it would cause

its a well moderated place . no iron fists being waved and were all friendly enough to say our bit and consider others views . no egos getting dented or thrown around . its good :D

I'd like the for sale forum removed before my wallet empties!

As mentioned before a local area group thread would be very useful.

A workshop thread for all those "how do I?" questions

SP

John":abetz0fl said:
Dr S":abetz0fl said:
Cough Cough. Ahem, area group section would be good??

:LOL: :LOL:

Seriously, don't change it too much, I like it as it is.

Si, the area group section is on my 'mental to do list', thanks for the reminder.

@ m-trax, as per a ss section keen not to overly fragmanet things.

Shame :( It would be nice to know who the over women retro bikers were. Perhaps even organise a womens only meet. ;)

Back