Modern frame suggestions

I ruled out Reilly when buying simply as the guy who I spoke to seemed like a dick. No idea what it would be like if an issue came up if it was like that when simply asking about lead times / build options.

Glad I went with enigma in the end as they’ve been great when spares / info has been needed.

I have been researching a little more, and have come up with a short list of modern titanium frames with rim brakes that aren't prohibitively expensive (although not exactly budget either...)

Reilly T325
Van Nicholas Boreas
VPACE TR
Litespeed

anyone heard of VPACE before? I hadn't until recently, they seem quite well established but it's hard to find much info on them.

Any others I should consider? Comments on any of the above?
I'd give Spa and Ribble a look-over. I have a Spa in ti and its a beauty (but its also 12sp and disc and a bit dear).

IMG_0638.jpeg I own two bikes with press fit bottom brackets, I ride a lot in the wet and mud and they’ve been zero trouble, one for more than 7 years. I think the problems came from poor quality frames.

As far as material choice: I think you are prioritizing wrong. You need to focus on finding a bike you like to ride. I briefly owned a ti road bike that I despised because it was dead and floaty feeling, I also own an old moots cx bike. Turns out that moots frame rubs me the right way, nice sprint but with the airy feel of ti.

I recently purchased a used cielo road racer (photo above). It’s steel with carbon fork, disc brake and… just wonderful ride, great sprint and smooth and vibrant. I’ve poo pooed steel because of the rust but this one is worth it.

My advice is ride a bunch of bikes and get the one you like most. Maybe be open to all materials.

There’s a lot more to a bikes ride than the material. From the huge variation I’ve experienced I’m never buying another bike that I’ve not ridden first.

There is Kocmo from Germany. Quality Rusky built .... not sure about "supply things" today, but certainly had a great reputation and one of few who would offer Ti forks. Then you've got Passoni in Italy of course.

View attachment 790534I own two bikes with press fit bottom brackets, I ride a lot in the wet and mud and they’ve been zero trouble, one for more than 7 years. I think the problems came from poor quality frames.

As far as material choice: I think you are prioritizing wrong. You need to focus on finding a bike you like to ride. I briefly owned a ti road bike that I despised because it was dead and floaty feeling, I also own an old moots cx bike. Turns out that moots frame rubs me the right way, nice sprint but with the airy feel of ti.

I recently purchased a used cielo road racer (photo above). It’s steel with carbon fork, disc brake and… just wonderful ride, great sprint and smooth and vibrant. I’ve poo pooed steel because of the rust but this one is worth it.

My advice is ride a bunch of bikes and get the one you like most. Maybe be open to all materials.

There’s a lot more to a bikes ride than the material. From the huge variation I’ve experienced I’m never buying another bike that I’ve not ridden first.
Love the colour-coordinated cockpit and tape - just needs the right colour saddle! ;-)

My Moots Vamoots CR frame and fork is up for grabs currently. 56cm from 2013/4, built up never ridden. PM if you’d like details.

Attachments

• IMG_9612.jpeg
    IMG_9612.jpeg
    907.6 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: eri
Love the colour-coordinated cockpit and tape - just needs the right colour saddle! ;-)
I just installed my white specialized romin (my favorite saddle) that tape is just the old dirty white. Just replaced with grey pnw coast tape.

Real story i think bike was cheap because noone wanted pink. And my green cones sometimes report red… so i cant tell pink from lime green…

And then for rust repair i trusted the guys at auto paint store for color match…

Color wise the bikes feral - good thing i love the ride.

Back