Retro Bike Shopping

New York Albertan

Old School Hero
Moving this into a new thread to get some more opinions.

I am looking at "retro" rides, for a number of reason - cost being one, but I've never been one to follow the crowd! Currently investigating two Kuwahara's (an old Savage and an old Shasta), a '97 Specialized Rockhopper, a Cannondale F300, and old late 80's Raleigh Matterhorn... A '91 Miyata Evolution... A Univega Rover-306... Three Treks - 830/930 early 90s (one's fantastic looking, but too expensive) and a '92 820 Antelope ($60), a late 80's Fiori (Norco Canada)... An early 90's Giant 870 ATX... And a mid-90's Schwinn Sierra. I really want to re-experience the old steel frames, once again.

Thoughts? All seem in the same, reasonable condition. Maybe a few need a tune up, and a few are road ready.

As a general rule the older / more race oriented the bike the more uncomfortable (punishing) it will be on your lumbar region, unless you adapt it: upright stem etc. The following is just my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right.

Assuming you want to go steel.

Not sure I know of a Miyata Evolution, I know of an Elevation which is a bonded aluminium frame.
Miyata = uncommon. For me = interesting. Bonded - 30+ years old = bit of a risk.

Cannondale - aluminium. F300 bottom of the ladder. Rigid aluminium = stiff and harsh ride.

Giant 870 ATX- aluminium

Raleigh Matterhorn is either late 90's v-brake wearing aluminium BSO, or kinda cool mid 80's lugged? steel Raleigh USA bullmoose bar and roller cam type brake wearing klunker. In the UK I would say you're more likely to find the former rather than the latter.

Trek 800 series- good pub / beater / runabout otherwise a bit meh.

Trek 900 series better -

Kuwahara - known unknown phone home Elliot!

Rockhopper - safe bet.

Last edited:
As a general rule the older / more race oriented the bike the more uncomfortable (punishing) it will be on your lumbar region, unless you adapt it: upright stem etc. The following is just my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right.

Assuming you want to go steel.

Not sure I know of a Miyata Evolution, I know of an Elevation which is a bonded aluminium frame.
Miyata = uncommon. For me = interesting. Bonded - 30+ years old = bit of a risk.

Cannondale - aluminium. F300 bottom of the ladder. Rigid aluminium = stiff and harsh ride.

Giant 870 ATX- aluminium

Raleigh Matterhorn is either late 90's v-brake wearing aluminium BSO, or kinda cool mid 80's lugged? steel Raleigh USA bullmoose bar and roller cam type brake wearing klunker. In the UK I would say you're more likely to find the former rather than the latter.

Trek 800 series- good pub / beater / runabout otherwise a bit meh.

Trek 900 series better -

Kuwahara - known unknown phone home Elliot!

Rockhopper - safe bet.
I am torn between the Rockhopper (I agree, a "safe bet" - and cheap) and the Kuwahara's. I'm in Canada, and I think the Kuwahara's may be more "Canadian", than "UK".

I like Kuwahara's but they're not easy to come by here, so I have limited experience. They have some lovely solid frames though. As I have a rockhopper myself and I loved having it as a main rider, I'll probably be leaning towards that as well.

Here's my rockhopper

20210612_172901 (1).jpg

I like Kuwahara's but they're not easy to come by here, they have some lovely solid frames. As I have a rockhopper myself and I loved having it as a main rider, I'll probably be leaning towards that as well.

Here's my rockhopper

View attachment 651435
Same as the one I'm looking at, though the one here is on the white-side. Also had a '91 Gary Fisher Evolution pop up for peanuts. I ride the Rockhopper tomorrow.

I have five guitars. Should I even consider five bikes?!

Same as the one I'm looking at, though the one here is on the white-side. Also had a '91 Gary Fisher Evolution pop up for peanuts. I ride the Rockhopper tomorrow.

I have five guitars. Should I even consider five bikes?!
Well, if you're looking for discouragement you've come to the wrong place I'm afraid. I have about 7 (which is a very modest amount considering some folks on here) bikes at the minute, give or take as some need to be finished. All mine are riders though, no show collecting here. Try out some of the bikes, get one if you like it, easy as that. Don't need anyone's approval. Also, you're allowed to have more than one hobby - regardless of what anyone says. I have about 10 different instruments if not more, I dabble in books and vinyl.. Have fun and mess about with bikes, good for the soul!

Do you have experience bike wrenching?

If you get the rockhopper just bin the v brakes on it if they're stock, never could stand the ones that came stock

Well, if you're looking for discouragement you've come to the wrong place I'm afraid. I have about 7 (which is a very modest amount considering some folks on here) bikes at the minute, give or take as some need to be finished. All mine are riders though, no show collecting here. Try out some of the bikes, get one if you like it, easy as that. Don't need anyone's approval. Also, you're allowed to have more than one hobby - regardless of what anyone says. I have about 10 different instruments if not more, I dabble in books and vinyl.. Have fun and mess about with bikes, good for the soul!

Do you have experience bike wrenching?
Bike wrenching? Not yet. But I've kept two of our cars past 400km by doing the mechanics! That's my goal here, with the "hobby", as well.

And, I agree w/your post! ;)

Latest posts

Back