Removing stuck self extractor help

Re: Re:

Woz":tz9pxdp9 said:
Mmmh. The proper tool (atleast the ones I had) is the Shimano tool for chainring bolts. If the LBS had a go, then I see no option to hack at it. Possibly drill bigger holes and make a beefier peg spanner with nails and a bench vice.

EDIT: After a rummage, Shimano tool ref. is TL-FC21. Made in Japan, so not shit ;-)
Got and tried one of those as well as the pin pliers (4 of those as well). So 5 tools tried in total so far (7 if you include the 2 tried at the lbs). Going to leave it to soak and see where things stand after that.

Re:

You could try drilling the holes out to the next size up but I'd be tempted to drill new holes, the right size, in a different position. Would be easier with a pillar drill, but you should be able to do it with a hand drill if you take care & have some good drill bits.

Hopefully, the combination of the heat from drilling and nice new holes for the tool should do the job. Just make sure you use a centre punch.

ishaw":g7215dco said:
Holes are a bit chewed up, but have the correct tool (pin pliers, not crap ones). The other side came out easily, this one was hard from the get go and only moved a bit before it moved no further. I've taken it to the lbs who also couldn't budge it, but they did at least say it looked to be straight and the threads would be fine once out. They didn't want to force it but couldn't suggest a way of removal aside from cutting a wedge out and peeling it out. I can't see how that would work with the bolt in situ, and haven't gone down that route yet.

As this has moved I would suggest doing it up again spraying with lubricant and working it back and forth it will take time but it will come out

kingbling":2cfs69vq said:
ishaw":2cfs69vq said:
Holes are a bit chewed up, but have the correct tool (pin pliers, not crap ones). The other side came out easily, this one was hard from the get go and only moved a bit before it moved no further. I've taken it to the lbs who also couldn't budge it, but they did at least say it looked to be straight and the threads would be fine once out. They didn't want to force it but couldn't suggest a way of removal aside from cutting a wedge out and peeling it out. I can't see how that would work with the bolt in situ, and haven't gone down that route yet.

As this has moved I would suggest doing it up again spraying with lubricant and working it back and forth it will take time but it will come out

That was my thinking too

Back