Removing Anodizing - Oven Cleaner

I had no luck with oven cleaner (I think the active ingredients vary in type and strength between different makes), but a little caustic soda mixed with water did the trick in no time! just be careful not to leave it too long - better to keep taking the part out and rinsing then having another go, than to leave it too long.

If it's paint then the gel type paint stripper is best!

foz":3uujg0b8 said:
I had no luck with oven cleaner (I think the active ingredients vary in type and strength between different makes), but a little caustic soda mixed with water did the trick in no time! just be careful not to leave it too long - better to keep taking the part out and rinsing then having another go, than to leave it too long.

If it's paint then the gel type paint stripper is best!

I read a great thread about caustic soda while i was researching. One bloke had his caustic soda solution in a bowl, and he dropped his motorbike brake caliper in to get the paint stripped off. He said he came back 20 minutes later and the caliper was nowhere to be found :LOL:. Sounds like nasty stuff.

I use a gel paint stripper. Absolutely demolishes aerosol spray paint. Works in a matter of seconds. But against the factory paint on my GT, i would have got the same results if i tried stripping the paint with water... Hopefully it works on my forks. I think it might just do the trick. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Paintin ... ver/p15403

TGR":3uujg0b8 said:
The definitive guide -

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=253317

Took me a while to find it but well worth a read even if you don't need it at the moment.

Richard

Thanks alot Richard, thats a great thread. What a transormation, that lever went from pure scrap to straight out the factory quality. Great to see that he used the same oven cleaner as i have. I acutally bought Oven Pride specifically as i read that a whole BMX forum used it as their anodising stripper of choice.

There is a thread from Ian Raleigh which covers the same thing but has more info re polishing and wet and dry polishing, but I cannot find it at the moment. I better add that the stem he does is for my Rossin and it is fantastic.

Richard

mind that stuff will get into the inside of the fork :? could do untold damage.

If the steerer turns into a chimney then youll know its inside the legs :LOL:

Well i did the anodising stripping today. The results were truely fantastic. Took next to no time at all. That Oven Pride is some good stuff.

I got a bit on the bottom of my forearm when i was reaching into the bucket to scrub it on. Didnt really think anything of it at first, but then i started feeling the burning sensation, and i looked down and the bits of hair on my arm had gone all curly and dodgey. I ripped off the gloves and ran into the bath and rinsed my arm off. A bald patch along with some red dots forming on my skin were revealed :LOL: :LOL: My skin is totally fine now. Only lasted for 10 minutes or so. Really pissed off with myself though, as i forgot to throw in my seat clamp before i started, and only remembered after i had disposed of all the oven cleaner :x

I used the paint stripper to get the paint off the forks. Worked a treat as the paint was of a poor quality. Ive tried polishing the fork straight away, but its going to need some sandpapering as there are still the normal scratches on the surface from when it was machined. Same with the seatpost, but im going to be keeping sandpapering on that to a bare minimum as i dont want to change the diameter of it. And i never bothered with my stem, as it has a really rough surface.

Another wet sanding session in the cold this weekend it is i then :roll:

Back