Removing Anodizing - Oven Cleaner

TKIceman

Retro Newbie
Hi, i have got myself a project going - polishing up a retro GT frame to a mirror finish, and a fork with the same finish. I have finished my frame and it is ready to go, and i have now moved on to the fork. The fork is anodized however, and i need to get it all off obviously before i can start the polishing process. I could go ahead and sandpaper it all off, but it will be quite time consuming, and it will be difficult to get in around the welds. And i want to try and avoid sandpapering as the aluminium is immaculate, and i dont want to put any scratches in it using an aggressive grade of sandpaper. Im hoping to get the anodizing off, giving it a once over with 2000 grit sandpaper and going ahead with polishing.

The fork was previously wrapped in vinyl, and i was pretty luck that the majority of the anodizing somehow managed to get pulled off as i removed the vinyl. But not quite lucky enough to get all of it off.

I have done some research and after reading in many places that oven cleaner would do the trick, ive bought myself some of it.

But im not quite sure about how i should go about using it to try and get the anodizing off. Do i follow the instructions, or do i use a slightly different method? Hoping someone may have done this before and can help me out with this.

Heres my fork:

And here is my Oven Cleaner instructions:

anodising isn't thick and is 'sort off' bonded to the aluminium and that looks like paint/lacquer on the forks.

I've never done the oven cleaner thing so can't help with that, but the anodising is part of the aluminium, there's no way you can pull it off. Probably remains of paint or something. Are the forks definitely anodised?

Hi,

Look for threads by Ian Raleigh and Kettlo in the road section - kettle has a step by step guide with pics for the process. I have done it without much difficulty, top tip - take your time!

Richard

Re:

You'll need a plastic bowl, the bag that comes with the kit won't help much. Pour all the oven cleaner into the bowl. Then with say a 1" paint brush, brush small sections at a time, say about 6". Depending on the annodising the time will vary but the ones I've done seem to take about 10mins soaking. Keep brushing over the oven cleaner and moving it around. You'll see it turn to a milky grey colour as it starts to strip off the annodising.

Once you think its off, wash clean in water. If you still see bits of annodising just repeat.

Most importantly, use safety glasses, face mask, gloves, apron etc.
Don't heat it.
It's very nasty stuff.

Hey Robbie, you're still here!!

OP - Robbie's advice is sound. From what I have read, it is best to put it on and wash it off and repeat rather than leaving it on too long as this causes more work. (hope that makes sense)

Richard

TGR":2ye3wwqb said:
Hey Robbie, you're still here!!

OP - Robbie's advice is sound. From what I have read, it is best to put it on and wash it off and repeat rather than leaving it on too long as this causes more work. (hope that makes sense)

Richard

Hi Richard, I'm still floating around :LOL:

Good advice about gloves and glasses! Its not nice stuff.

Thanks all for the quick replies!

Rampage":3gmub0yp said:
I've never done the oven cleaner thing so can't help with that, but the anodising is part of the aluminium, there's no way you can pull it off. Probably remains of paint or something. Are the forks definitely anodised?

After reading this, im beginning to feel like a bit of a tool, because i know exactly what you mean now about anodising being part of the aluminium. I think it may be paint... :oops: What made me scratch my head was the fact that it there was no sign of primer or anything like that on the bits that were stuck on my vinyl wrapping. I think its some sort of coloured lacquer or something?

I may try using some super sticky duct tape i have and pull the rest of the paint off. If not, ill use some paint stripper i have. It was completely useless against the paint on my frame, but this looks like a much less "heavy duty" paint on these forks so it may do the trick. If not, sandpaper it is, and wire brush + blowtorch for the welds (same technique i used on the thick GT welds on my frame).

Not a problem though, as i have a seatpost that i know is 100% anodised, and i want to strip that down so i can polish it.

Re: Re:

Rampage":2o7lsneh said:
Most importantly, use safety glasses, face mask, gloves, apron etc.
Don't heat it.
It's very nasty stuff.

Definitely will be using goggles and gloves. Dont have a mask or apron but i should be okay without if im careful.

Robbied196":2o7lsneh said:
You'll need a plastic bowl, the bag that comes with the kit won't help much. Pour all the oven cleaner into the bowl. Then with say a 1" paint brush, brush small sections at a time, say about 6". Depending on the annodising the time will vary but the ones I've done seem to take about 10mins soaking. Keep brushing over the oven cleaner and moving it around. You'll see it turn to a milky grey colour as it starts to strip off the annodising.

Once you think its off, wash clean in water. If you still see bits of annodising just repeat.

Thats great. Ill give that technique a go. What happens if i use a normal bowl? instead of a plastic one?

Latest posts

Back