De-anodizing and polishing Race Face riser bars

Very nice, I've done similar in the past. The only thing that worried me is that aluminium oxidises if it isn't anodised. Are you planning on protecting them somehow?
I put a ceramic coating on it that I use on my truck. I have used the product on an aluminum frame that I stripped and polished and it seems to hold up ok. Reality is that I'll probably re-polish and protect a couple times per year which I'm ok with

They won't need re polishing too much.....essentially anodising at a basic level is just very uniformly encouraging the aluminium to oxidise .....

If you leave them after polishing, they will dull and then stabilize....at worst a rag with a bit of ac50 on once a year when cleaning!

These were done 3 years ago and they have dulled, but not rotted! After a year or so they tend to look more original....as obviously the anodising isn't shiny shiny shiny.

The main issue i find with most alluminium is the failure of coats of lacquer or rub through of the harder anodised coat.

Attachments

• 16977892352915226724200926778046.jpg
    16977892352915226724200926778046.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 14
Not sure I agree with that. Those Shimano cranks are a different alloy, much less prone to oxidation than certain other types.
In my experience 6000 series alloys for instance are much more resistant (hence are often unanodised - White Industries, Campag hubs etc), but 7000 series succumbs quickly. Not sure what Campag use on their cranks, but when I stripped some Olympus of its coating they corroded really badly in no time at all. It wasn’t just an even dullness as mentioned but deep and patchy.

Great job on the bars BTW! The Ceramic spray sounds a good protection. I’ve also found Poorboys Wheel sealant pretty effective on stripped parts.

Last edited:
Nearly all alluminium is anodised for cycle use. Its just more user friendly. If stripped, i would put something on thats easily removable/ top up-able. Spraying aluminium is like beating yourself with a stick.....soon you will be sorry you started!🤣. Then your back to square one with rubbed cranks and peeling coatings.

Completly agree that not all alluminium is the same, but controlling corrosion is the key...you can't really stop it as it happens within seconds of cutting a bar!

You can anodise at home, we have basic kit for it at work.

Try gateros plating or similar.

Yep agree about a lot of spray coatings. The Poorboys stuff is just a wax which also helps retain a polish.

There are a fair few parts that aren’t anodised though. As mentioned, all the 70s, 80s + 90s Campag hubs I’ve owned, White industries hubs too. Surprisingly, W.I. (U.S made) cranks aren’t either, likewise some 80s/90s Shimano. Various Paul’s bits, old Suntour’s deraileurs, pedal bodies etc..

Last edited:
if you use caustic soda on a cloth ( old bath towel ) it removes the andoising an there is no need for scoth pads might save some time in the future

Back